GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alliance,Ohio
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Take it to an electric motor shop and have it re-built for a fraction of the cost!
    1998 1500 w/t short bed 4.3

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fugitive View Post
    Take it to an electric motor shop and have it re-built for a fraction of the cost!
    I don't know that this is true anymore. I have called rebuilders in my area multiple times over the last few years. They always turn out to be the same price or $10 cheaper than buying one at autozone.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  3. #13

    Default

    I took it to AutoZone and had it tested three times and it passed, I guess I'll do what he did and get it tested somewhere else.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xJohnDoe001x View Post
    I took it to AutoZone and had it tested three times and it passed, I guess I'll do what he did and get it tested somewhere else.
    Think about how these things work....you need a running engine to spin the alternator. Good, or bad, the alternator is there to keep the battery charged. A charged battery is what starts the truck. Stop buying parts that you don't need.
    Ray

    '09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Think about how these things work....you need a running engine to spin the alternator. Good, or bad, the alternator is there to keep the battery charged. A charged battery is what starts the truck. Stop buying parts that you don't need.
    Yeah, that what I thought, I also thought that if I had fuel, spark, and no large vacuum leak I'd get some kind of starting action.

    So RayVoy, what do I do next? Or anyone? I had recently set the timing and the distributor hold down bolt is still tight but I'm still going to set the engine to TDC and check the rotor position. I have a known working everything so I may swap the distributor module, check the pick up coil while there.

  6. #16

    Default

    The timing is never set at TDC, it is always a few degrees retarded. check the specs.

    I'm not going to go back and look at the list of things you changed, but did you have the distributor out? Did you replace it, or remove it to inspect it? Did you have the wires off?

    If you did, you probably have the timing screwed up.

    But, even at TDC it should start. If you did any of the above, I suspect you have the plugs firing 180 degrees out of phase, ie: the plug fires on the exhaust stroke, not the compression.
    Ray

    '09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    The timing is never set at TDC, it is always a few degrees retarded. check the specs.
    I'm not going to go back and look at the list of things you changed, but did you have the distributor out? Did you replace it, or remove it to inspect it? Did you have the wires off?
    If you did, you probably have the timing screwed up.
    But, even at TDC it should start. If you did any of the above, I suspect you have the plugs firing 180 degrees out of phase, ie: the plug fires on the exhaust stroke, not the compression.
    I also thought that the timing is never set to TDC which causes me to shoot the parts machine gun at it. The under hood emission label is missing but I found all of them AutoZone's website and all say TDC, anyhow I wasn't talking about resetting the timing but checking the rotor's position to see if anything has changed. I think you missed something I was driving the truck regularly the truck ran good and one morning it didn't. I understand firing order and all the mechanical aspects and relationships but I have been away from auto mechanic's for a lot of years. I don't have much experience with electronic ignitions. RayVoy, I know you meant timing is usually advanced not retarded.

    Assume that I did install all parts correctly and am not a total clutz mechanically speaking, what should I check?

  8. #18

    Default

    Ok @xJohnDoe001x, I did a little checking (very little, so I/we could be wrong), it appears, with an engine computer and a distributor, the mechanical timing is set to 0 (now, I don't know if that's just a mark, or if it is 0 degrees, which would be TDC). The computer then advances the timing to suit the needs of the engine.

    BTW, thanks for picking that up, I did mean "advanced"

    That post was more interested in what you had changed around the distributor; ie: had you changed the distributor, or the wires?

    Some of those types of ignition used an ignition module (someone may have talked about it earlier) maybe there is a problem there; however, checking for a spark, and having one should rule that out.
    Ray

    '09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

  9. #19

    Default

    Yea, I was wondering about these distributor modules, are they work or don't work things with no middle area? I did replaced the distributor with a new one. The truck ran good then one morning it started for a couple of seconds then it won't start.

  10. #20

    Default

    did you get the crack and no start fixed with your truck. I have been having the same problem with my truck I changed a bunch of part hen I got a hold of a old time tech. He laughed at me and asked me if looked at the ground that is on the block that goes to the frame and he was right we fixed the breaded ground and the truck is running better then before. so just look at that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •