GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear end noise.

Question Rear end noise.

Recently my truck (2011 Silverado 1500 LS ext cab 4X4) has been acting up. When I slow down to take a sharp turn or curve in the road, as soon as I roll back on the gas the rear end thumps like i just dropped the tranny in gear. It dosn't do this when I come to a complete stop and turn just when i slow to a curve or turn. Is this common and or normal? If not what do i need to look at as the cause?
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-- Lt Col. D.Grossman. On Combat

might just need the slip yoke greased

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

with that the rear diff has sensed a slip /speed difference so it locked up.

I would check the rear diff fluid.. if it is dark or low remove the rear cover and clean the box out ..then add the proper fluid which with the eaton locker and the tag on the diff should say 75-90 wt synthetic..

4. Likes reggiecab2000 liked this post

My 03 has been doing that forever...theres too much play between the pinion and ring gear, it should be re shimmer but I've been running it like this for over 3 years now so I might well run it till she blows
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    with that the rear diff has sensed a slip /speed difference so it locked up.

I suspect @j cat is right. In a turn, the inside wheel is turning a lot slower than the outside, a little burp of the gas and the inside wheel (which is lighter in a turn) will spin, when it spins, the G80 pawl locks the two sides and a clunk/thud is felt and there might be a little "crow hopping" until the pawl drops out releasing the lock.

Mine is an '09 and the combo of G80 and traction/stability control wears out my rear tires faster than the front. First truck I ever had that wears out the rears first.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

that is an odd one where your rear tires wear faster.

I have an '08 LT 4X4 (bought new). It has had that clunking or thumping ever since (hence my user name). I've taken it in several times. Every time, they grease the slip yoke and say it's fixed. And, for about 2 months, it stops doing it. Then it starts again. I'm out of warranty now, so I hope nothing falls out from under the truck one day.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    that is an odd one where your rear tires wear faster.
    I thought it was as well. They wear straight across, so I think they are aligned correctly. The rear brakes also wear faster than the front, but there doesn't appear to be any drag. I've been blaming the traction/stability controls
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

I used to have the rear brakes wear faster , my rear calipers where distorted. the brakes would stick because of the cal pistons binding when the pads got 1/3 worn. replaced calipers and no more problems..

I removed calipers . removed pistons tried to slide pistons inside the bore they would stick half way in ..

got new cal 2 did same test smooth full in/out ..problem solved.

Maybe one of the rear brakes is hanging and slowing the wheel down more than the other. Just a thought.
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast