GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Fuel Pressure increase

What is the best way to increase the fuel pressure to the TB? I have noticed now that when I get below a 1/4 tank it spits and sputters on acceleration. I have already considered a fuel pump knowing the nightmare it will be to change it. The truck has 200K plus on it and I am sure the pump is tired.

I have seen some TBi mods the allow for increased pressure, but wanna hear from the powers herein.

Its a 95 5.7l 2wd.

What say Ye?

Blank slate....work in progress....
    95 Chevy 5.7L 2wd...no mods..yet
    Resto project.

I doubt if you need more pressure, it sounds like you could be sucking in air.

The pump pickup should be in a small "well" inside the tank. This "well" is an area that stays filled with fuel under hard braking, or, hard acceleration. In other words, the tanks are designed so that a small amount of fuel stays at the pickup, when the rest is pulled forward, or pushed rearward in the tank.

You might have a tank problem (the little well has moved, or leaks), or, the pickup is too high in the tank, or, the pickup has a hole somewhere in the tube. I suspect the tank.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

This well you speak of....is it "attached" to the tank some how....If so how can it move? As far as I know this is the original pump and hasn't been changed.

just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I doubt if you need more pressure, it sounds like you could be sucking in air.

The pump pickup should be in a small "well" inside the tank. This "well" is an area that stays filled with fuel under hard braking, or, hard acceleration. In other words, the tanks are designed so that a small amount of fuel stays at the pickup, when the rest is pulled forward, or pushed rearward in the tank.

You might have a tank problem (the little well has moved, or leaks), or, the pickup is too high in the tank, or, the pickup has a hole somewhere in the tube. I suspect the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by GMANs95 View Post
    This well you speak of....is it "attached" to the tank some how....If so how can it move? As far as I know this is the original pump and hasn't been changed.

just curious.
    Yep, it's attached to the tank, just one of a number of baffles inside the tank that keeps the fuel from sloshing around when the vehicle is moving.