GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default any one know how un-lock gps system

how can I un-lock factory gps navigation system ????

hello all members, I have a used GM factory navigation system that I want to upgrade my silverado but the navygation system said THEFT LOCKED so I need know how can I un-lock the navygation system, I go to dealter and they said I have a Wrong part number for my SILVERADO 2007 so some one can help me??

thank's for read my post

Have not got a clue! I think I would start at the dealership, if you don't get any help here. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Sr. Apprentice

You will have to take it to a dealer to get it programmed and unlocked.

Default yes I do but no work

I have 2007 Silverado crew cab classic, I want to upgrade a Factory GPS Navigation System and this GPS has THEFT LOCKED ACIVATED on screen, the part # 15204334 '04 GMT800 INR, I go at dealer to and ask if this fit and work with my truck and they said yes only I need re-programing, but I pay $95.00 for re-programing and surprise !!!! not work !! so if any one know what can I do for put to work this GPS Nav, please let me know.

THANK YOU for you help.

I'd help but but there is a reason why it had a THEFT DEVICE built in. If it was a legit purchase, the seller would of helped you out. Ask them.
    Life is Like Sitting Down at the WaffleHouse, Order What You Want, Eat What You Get...

The sophistication of GM's theft deterrent system isn't generally discussed, and we may assume it's continually being updated/improved. For all I know, attempting to unlock a component that's been reported as stolen could silently trigger an On-Star report.
    From what I've been able to glean, it's my understanding:
    The GM theft deterrent system is made to inhibit the transfer of the entertainment system components not originally installed in the vehicle. Each component shares data with the whole system. And, like the internet, each unit has an identifier equivalent to an IP to facilitate this data sharing. When you install a component into the system, it's identifier must digitally introduced -- a "hand-shake" event. Unrecognized components must be identified and/or unlocked. With GM, the specific details of the unlocking process are not widely distributed.
    If you browse the web, you'll find various sites offering unlock services from under $5 to $25 or up to what our dealer charged. They will instruct you to perform the necessary procedures to determine and enter the data specific to your installation. Typically, they'll tell you how to get some numbers that you'll send to them. And, by return eMail, you get the unlock coding procedure -- presumably pushing various combinations of buttons like setting the clock. This is necessary if you don't have access to your car's data link.
    If you have an OBD-II scanner, then you can access the computer and you might be able to unlock directly. The typical procedure involves going to the unit's set-up menu and launching the Learn VIN routine. This is necessary when re-installing the original standard radio, and may also work for other component. I was unable to find info specific to your model.
    Sorry your dealer wasn't able to help. In many areas, dealerships sub out what used to be called "stereo" work. To unlock a component, go to a speciality shop that installs and services the entertainment electronics for your local dealers.
    Last edited by zippy; 09-07-2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: oops
    Are we having fun, yet?

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    If you have an OBD-II scanner, then you can access the computer and you might be able to unlock directly. The typical procedure involves going to the unit's set-up menu and launching the Learn VIN routine. This is necessary when re-installing the original standard radio, and may also work for other component.

As far as I know, you have to have a Tech 2 with the proper software to do the VIN learn. If you bought the radio from someone who just took it out of their truck and sold it you may be out of luck. I've had to replace several factory NAV systems in 08 VUEs and they have to be programmed using GM TIS2WEB and learn the VIN with the Tech 2. My suggestion is to try and return the unit to the seller and get yourself either an aftermarket NAV system or buy a new one through a dealer and have them program it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelmotor99 View Post
    As far as I know, you have to have a Tech 2 with the proper software to do the VIN learn. If you bought the radio from someone who just took it out of their truck and sold it you may be out of luck. I've had to replace several factory NAV systems in 08 VUEs and they have to be programmed using GM TIS2WEB and learn the VIN with the Tech 2. My suggestion is to try and return the unit to the seller and get yourself either an aftermarket NAV system or buy a new one through a dealer and have them program it.
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    PM sent.
    Are we having fun, yet?