GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Need Help Troubleshooting 1995 Chevy K1500 Hard Start and Rough Idle

Hello All,

I'm at a loss with my 95 Chevy K1500 5.7 Z71. I have several issues that I need help addressing, as follows:

1. Service Engine Soon light is on and I get OBDI codes 22 (TPS Low Voltage) and 44 (Lean Exhaust). With the TPS that came installed on the truck, it would crank for approximately 5 seconds before starting and then idle high while in park or neutral. While trying to shift into gear (when cold) the truck will bog down and die. After the truck warmed up, it ran okay, but would surge at stop and would run rough until you got above 30 mph.

Last night, I changed the TPS to a BWD unit that I got at Advance and things got worse (the TPS that I took off also looked like an aftermarket piece). The hard starting got worse and I now have to pump the throttle to get it to fire. It also runs rougher at low rpm.

I have yet to try and resolve the Lean Exhaust code, but I think I will try and replace the fuel filter first. I checked the injector spray last night and both injectors seemed okay, but I have heard that reduced fuel pressure may be to blame for the 44 code. I have already rebuilt the TBI unit with new gaskets, fuel pressure regulator diaphragm, fuel injector screens, o-rings, etc.

2. The truck seems to build up pressure in the windshield washer system. When I first got the truck I would get a puddle of washer fluid behind the driver's side front tire. I thought it was just a cracked hose, but upon inspection they all seem to be intact. I shut the truck off last night and was looking around the cowl and washer fluid with squirting out of the driver's side windshield washer nozzle (with a little pressure behind it).

3. I get a puddle (clear water, not coolant) in the passenger side foot well when it rains. I've read some and this seems like a common problem, but I can't find a definitive point where the water enters. Any ideas?

Any thoughts you guys can provide are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Kevin DeSilva
    1995 Chevrolet K1500 5.7

I would definitely replace the fuel filter. Also try cleaning the mass air flow sensors. both can cause lean fuel. Check you plugs and cap n rotor.

Thanks. I replaced the fuel pump and it fixed the surging problems. Runs like a top now. Now to figure out the windshield washer problem and the leak in the cab at the cowl.
    Kevin DeSilva
    1995 Chevrolet K1500 5.7

Just curious, did the TPS code go away? on your leak, make sure the area below the wipers is not clogged with leaves etc. also never seen it happen bot maybe some one routed the radiator overflow hose to washer res instead of coolant res? don't laugh! i've seen some crazy stuff!

the screws holding down the cowl on those are know to leak. Same thing happened on my 95. I just pulled the screws, dipped the threaded part in silicon and put them back in, then I put some silicon over the heads. it stopped my leak. Also, my washer solvent res. leaked all the time also. I had gm replace the tank under warranty once. But, the leak was always there. sometimes it would be fine for weeks, then I would walk out to a puddle of solvent. never figured that one out.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)