GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Power Steering pump question

Is there a difference in pumps between a regular TB and a TB EXT??

I am replacing my PS pump, and when i went to AutoZone (and while searching online), some pumps state "standard wheel base".

AutoZone will look up my EXT LT and not have anything, but look up a regular LT and they have something.

My Haynes manual doesn't point out any difference in pumps...only the difference between one on a I6 and one on a V8.

I wish I knew if there is a difference....I am finding some decent deals online, but those deals state "standard wheel base"...

Anyone know why?

Thanks in advance!
    2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Z66 WBH, AVS smoked rain guards, AVS smoked bug shield, Bose 6-disk CD changer, Bully Fire Strip w/ Sequential turn, 6 on-high, amber DRLs, tinted euro tails, Pace Setter Performance Dual Exhaust, K&N CAI, GlowShift gauges in dual pillar pod.

Yes, there is a difference. The belt is also different.

The long wheelbase trucks use a shorter belt than the short wheelbase trucks.

I know the pulley is a different diameter, but I don't know if the pump body is the same.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

3. Thanks ARMYtango thanked for this post

So...I wonder if I were to order a pump without the pulley, and put my existing one on...would that work?

I also cannot find a pump for an EXT that comes WITH the reservoir....and I am afraid to use my current one as I suspect that may be my leak problem.

I would just rather get the entire set up and be done with it.
    2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Z66 WBH, AVS smoked rain guards, AVS smoked bug shield, Bose 6-disk CD changer, Bully Fire Strip w/ Sequential turn, 6 on-high, amber DRLs, tinted euro tails, Pace Setter Performance Dual Exhaust, K&N CAI, GlowShift gauges in dual pillar pod.

I think they come without pulleys, I would think a reservoir should be included.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

6. Thanks ARMYtango thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I think they come without pulleys, I would think a reservoir should be included.
    Most of the ones that specify that they are for extended wheelbase don't come with them, but I did finally locate one on amazon....so now I just have to wait for it to show up.

I will just use the original pulley.

Now, one other question...
    Haynes describes how to bleed the system to get the air out, but it never specifies whether the cap needs to be ON or OFF when doing it....

Does anyone happen to know?

Thanks for the help, RayVoy!

I have found, if I can park on a hill (nose up) and leave the cap off, it will help. Today's trucks, I6, V8, are hard to get the air bleed out.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

I will keep that in mind!

Thanks!

[QUOTE=ARMYtango;592271

Now, one other question...
    Haynes describes how to bleed the system to get the air out, but it never specifies whether the cap needs to be ON or OFF when doing it....

Does anyone happen to know?

Thanks for the help, RayVoy![/QUOTE]

I did a ps pump on my yukon xl last summer. The directions included in the box from AC delco stated that after install I should fill the reservoir, jack up the front end so both wheels were off the ground and turn the wheel from lock to lock 30 times BEFORE starting the truck. I thought it was odd, but I did what it said. I had no foaming at all when I started the truck and the system was basically bled at that point. This was a new method to me. But, it worked great. When I worked in the garage we had a problem bleeding a pump on a vehicle. We used the old cap and drilled a hole in it. Then we inserted a pipe nipple and connected it to a hand held vacuum pump. We started the vehicle and pumped the vacuum pump to create a vacuum in the system. Let it idle for 15 minutes with 20 lbs of vacuum and the system was bled.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Well, it seems as being on an incline is the way to go (Haynes does not state this).

It does say that when turning the wheels from side to side, to NOT go far enough to hit the bump stops....I am assuming that the LOCK position would be before this?

Also...Pikey, did you leave the cover off on your Yukon when you bled it? Or did you leave it on?

Quote Originally Posted by ARMYtango View Post
    Well, it seems as being on an incline is the way to go (Haynes does not state this).

It does say that when turning the wheels from side to side, to NOT go far enough to hit the bump stops....I am assuming that the LOCK position would be before this?

Also...Pikey, did you leave the cover off on your Yukon when you bled it? Or did you leave it on?
    They dont want you to go all the way to lock (the max that you can turn the wheel one way) while the truck is running because it creates foam. I went to lock 30 times BEFORE starting it as stated in the directions provided with my pump. The cap was off. The idea is that by turning the wheel while the truck is off, you are moving the fluid with your rack or gearbox thru the system. the method also helps to make sure that you have enough fluid in the system before you start it. If you do not turn the wheel from side to side before you start it, when you do start it the fluid reservoir will most likely empty as the pump fills your empty lines. this is when foaming and pump damage can occur as you basically run the pump dry for a few seconds. I would just suggest that you try the method of turning the wheel from lock to lock 30 times before you start it. If it does nothing to help you then you are only out 5 minutes of your time. If it does what it did on my truck it will save you time as you will not be waiting for foam to subside so you can get it bled and filled to the proper level

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast