GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Angry Front suspension woe's ?

Well I had the front end of this truck, (The very last job to do ) and bought a kit with al the bushings, and I fell for the advertising about "Polyurethane infused with Teflon" ad. Well it's done but it rides so hard you'd think the dashboard is going to split in half. And it is so squeaky I'm afraid to take it out at night as I fear I'll wake my neighbors with al the squeaking. I guess you live and learn again. I'll never use polyurethane bushing ever again. Damn I screwed up with this job. Got no one to blame but myself.

I have used poly urethane bushing before. They hardly made any noise. I found that I needed to tighten the bolts, then lower the vehicle so the weight was on the suspension, and then torque them to the proper specs. I torqued my rear control arms with no weight on the suspension and they squeaked like crazy. I know that they are supposed to be self lubricating. But, if you buy a grease needle and slide it in between the bushings and the metal that is going thru the middle, pump a few shots of grease in, it should take care of the noise.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Ive used Poly for years, they give a firmer control over the suspension.
    If over tightened they squeek and make the suspension stiff.
    If not tight enough you get clunk noises and sometimes squeeking.
    Dont use grease or conventional petroleum lubes on poly, it attracts dirt and causes more squeeking.Once in a while wase out any dirt and lube and apply graphite to poly bushings, this keeps them quiet and helps them move smoother.

4. Likes Pikey liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Ive used Poly for years, they give a firmer control over the suspension.
    If over tightened they squeek and make the suspension stiff.
    If not tight enough you get clunk noises and sometimes squeeking.
    Dont use grease or conventional petroleum lubes on poly, it attracts dirt and causes more squeeking.Once in a while wase out any dirt and lube and
    apply graphite to poly bushings, this keeps them quiet and helps them move smoother.
    Good info from someone that knows what they are talking about. I used grease on mine. Maybe that is why I had to do it every few weeks.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I did that on my chevelle.... needs a lot of spray silicon to prevent the squeaks, but it drives well
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Silicone works well too, but you have to be careful about the type propellant used in the spray, many silicone lubricants use a petroleum base propellant to disperse the silicone, and again you end up with a dirt and grit attractant.

8. Likes cmcolfax liked this post
    I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Silicone works well too, but you have to be careful about the type propellant used in the spray, many silicone lubricants use a petroleum base propellant to disperse the silicone, and again you end up with a dirt and grit attractant.
    Yeah, this was a mistake. I' have nobody to fault but myself So I'm just going to bite the bullet and switch back to rubber.

Keep in mind whatever type bushings you use you dont use a petroleum based lube as it collects dirt and dust and will cause squeeks.

11. Thanks JTWard thanked for this post