GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default intermitant electric spook

I have a 2002 Sub, awhile back my battery would go dead over night, which went on for weeks. I replaced the 3 year old one but the problem persisted, I had to leave a charger on over night. I put a meter from the disconnected ground to the ground wire, I pulled every fuse and relay I could find to no avail. Oddly enough a week or so later I forgot to hook up the charger, much to my surprise the problem had gone away. That was mid summer, just a few days ago it returned! I did quite a few net searches and found it seems to be an issue several others have or are experiencing, I only found one possible solution that was to re flash the computer. Looking for any other ideas before going to the dealer, I am tight on $$ having recently gotten off chemo and not back to work.

Phil
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

When you connected the meter from the disconnected ground to the ground wire, did you set the meter to DC-amp and what was the amperage draw?
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 25k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 176k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

I used a volt meter looking for a drop when I found the circuit did not see any variation, what type of ammeter would be needed?

Phil
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

You need to use an amp meter (buy a cheap digital multi-meter, I've read where your harbor freight has them for $5.00)

The only way you will find this is to read the current draw while pulling fuse.

BTW, it is probably not the computer.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Still have not gotten a meter, but had a shock today! When I lock my truck only the driver side door locks, all other are unlocked no matter how many times I hit the lock button. This is getting even more interesting.
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FireRed View Post
    Still have not gotten a meter, but had a shock today! When I lock my truck only the driver side door locks, all other are unlocked no matter how many times I hit the lock button. This is getting even more interesting.
    buy a good meter that has the amp scale on it. over time this will save you lots of time trouble.

start with the highest scale. then drop to where you get a reading. you should get less than 250 MA. that is .25amps.

no key in ignition , doors closed doors locked . 15 min after shutdown with meter connected remove one fuse at a time until you see a drop. 10 MA or less is good...new vehicles do suck more sleep current than older vehicles.

I recommend only high CCA amp batteries because of this fact. I now use 850 CCA batteries.

it is possible the radio/amplifier is not shutting down common problem with some GM vehicles. this is usually the BCM.