GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by esponet View Post
    you can get a "better" roof rack and just put it there.
    Ever tried to lift a spare tire over your head? Theyre heavy and as was pointed out kill the mileage when placed up top.

Look at J.C. Whitney, they were selling a tire carrier that slid into the reciever hitch (providing your truck has a 2" reciever) it had the capability to fold down for access to the rear cargo area and you could still use the reciever hitch because the tire carrier was built like an extension of the reciever.

you don't try and lift it over your head. you get on top of the roof rack and pull it up with a rope, or lower it down with a rope.
    as far as loosing mpg, that is a down side. but hey we are driving suburbans,mpg is the last thing on my mind. specially if your going with over size off road tires. i don't like to carry it behind the gate because it will sag the susp. a little. when off roading, it being back there will give you head aches.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Esponet - you can stand on the roof of a Suburban. I figured they were strong , but not that strong. I can see maybe throwing a rope over the Burb and having someone pull while you lift and guide, but you still end up doing some heavy overhead lifting.

Folks have different mpg concerns of course. Suburbans -1/2 ton - can get pretty respectible highway FE- 20 mpg or so at 65-70 mph , but as you say . heavily lugged off road tires sure won't help.

Still -the 1-2 mpg you will lose with the tire on the roof is about 35 gallons year at 12000 miles/yr( figuring 15 mpg or so mixed driving)-$140 is a $140.

Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by esponet View Post
    you don't try and lift it over your head. you get on top of the roof rack and pull it up with a rope, or lower it down with a rope.
    as far as loosing mpg, that is a down side. but hey we are driving suburbans,mpg is the last thing on my mind. specially if your going with over size off road tires. i don't like to carry it behind the gate because it will sag the susp. a little. when off roading, it being back there will give you head aches.
    Drag the tire up the side of my Suburban, I dont think so. Theres no way you can pull the spare tire up by a rope and keep it off the side of a Suburban, you would have to lean out to far.
    I know a few people with overhead racks that carry thier spares up there, they have to hoist them from the ground over there head to get them there. I do know one person who has a small hand cranked lift crane mounted to his roof rack that swivels at the base.
    If a spare tire at the back of the truck is sagging the suspension it's time to get new springs and solve the problem. How would you expect a truck like this to properly support the tongue weight of a trailer.

It's too bad there wasn't a way to store the tire under the Burb, like the trucks do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12