GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default something is flaking off my windows!

guys help me out, this is very irritating...

the last time i saw this was about 8 months ago simple windex and paper towel on my windows, and it looked like there was some sort of sticky residue on the pasenger window about dime sized, so i sprayed some windex and wiped and the spot got bigger, and bigger, and bigger, then i got frustrated and wiped real hard, well whatever the stuff was, scratched the heck out of my window and its permanently scratched now....

well the same spots have randomly developed on my driver and back window now.... and they spread the more you wipe, if you use your finger its visibly something that is flaking off, soft though, but the fact is this stuff isnt going away. dont know if you see in the pictures but can anyone tell me what this stuff is???

oh and its ONLY on the INSIDE of the window, it doesnt seem like any of the tint is coming off, im just lost with this... i cant find anything on google
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (2) (800x600).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	56371

Name:	photo 2 (2) (800x600).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	56372

Name:	photo 3 (2) (800x600).jpg 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	56373

Name:	photo 4 (2) (800x600).jpg 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	56374

Name:	photo 5 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	56375
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

I have it and many more does too! I have tried many things to remove it, but no success!
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

Sr. Engineer

Is this just bad after market window tint?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

i have yet to notice anything with the window tint coming off as a result of this....
    dont know if its related or not.

anyone have recommendations? should i try rubbing it all off softly with a microfiber cloth or something? or what should i do?

you could always try really fine steel wool and window cleaner.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    you could always try really fine steel wool and window cleaner.
    Yes, 000 steel wool and lots of glass cleaner. This will scratch tint film , but it sounds like it has already dried up and is coming off. If you run into problems with the adhesive use Xenit by Stoner. It is an orange based cleaner that destroys window tint goo. Just put some towels on your door panels and clean everything good afterwards,
    IF IT'S 2WD IT NEEDS LOWERED, IF IT'S 4WD, IT NEEDS LIFTED. FACTORY RIDE HEIGHT IS JUST A GOOD STARTING POINT!

Heres what the stuff looks like after rubbing with my finger

Name:	photo (5) (800x600).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	56463

Sr. Engineer

Can't really tell from pictures and I have not experienced anything like that. But what it does remind me of is something called nite shade. It is a tinted clear for darkening headlights and tail lights and it looks like someone used it on the inside and it is failing. I have also seen similar looks on headlights where some one used a clear coat to try and repair the hazed and faded look of them. I would get a razor blade scraper and try to remove an area as if it were something applied to the glass. I am not at all convinced it is the glass itself failing but some aftermarket tint.

Quote Originally Posted by dpeter View Post
    Can't really tell from pictures and I have not experienced anything like that. But what it does remind me of is something called nite shade. It is a tinted clear for darkening headlights and tail lights and it looks like someone used it on the inside and it is failing. I have also seen similar looks on headlights where some one used a clear coat to try and repair the hazed and faded look of them. I would get a razor blade scraper and try to remove an area as if it were something applied to the glass. I am not at all convinced it is the glass itself failing but some aftermarket tint.
    well I know there is nothing that has been added to my windows other than window tint many years ago, I am the sole owner of this truck other than my older brother who handed it down to me.

thats what i keep thinking, but if it was the tint failing, wouldnt the tint be coming off with it? it just seems like some kind of built up layer of white sparkly powder....

random thought, i live near the beach, and OCCASIONALLY go there, maybe once a month, could this be a build up of salt overspray on the windows? but if it was that why would it only become apparent when cleaning them? not that i wanna taste this stuff to validate my possible hypothesis....lol

Sr. Engineer

Now I AM convinced it is the window tint. If your location has been the residence of this truck since new ( Texas ) I am not surprised as that Texas sun can kill almost anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by