GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    Default 97 c-1500 solid/flashing engine light

    I have a 97 GMC with the 5.0 5-speed. The other morning, we had a cold snap. The truck ran fine on the way to work. I let it idla for 10 minutes several hours later,everything was fine. Then in the afternoon, when I started the truck to go home from work, Igot a check engine light and the truck ran rough. Above about 2500 rpm, the light flashes. When I return to low rpm it comes on solid. I had it scanned and the #1 cylinder was misfiring. My guess, condensation in the distributor. I replaced cap,rotor,wires&plugs.They needed it BAD! Light went off .Truck smoothed out. About 3 minutes into test drive, it returned doing the exact same thing, but the truck is still running smooth. Any guesses?

  2. #2
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alliance,Ohio
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Having basically the same issue but my code is throwing a random cylinder mis-fire but she runs smooth as silk!
    1998 1500 w/t short bed 4.3

  3. Thanks GeoLow97 thanked for this post
  4. #3
    Sr. Engineer Dana W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chuluota, Florida
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoLow97 View Post
    I have a 97 GMC with the 5.0 5-speed. The other morning, we had a cold snap. The truck ran fine on the way to work. I let it idla for 10 minutes several hours later,everything was fine. Then in the afternoon, when I started the truck to go home from work, Igot a check engine light and the truck ran rough. Above about 2500 rpm, the light flashes. When I return to low rpm it comes on solid. I had it scanned and the #1 cylinder was misfiring. My guess, condensation in the distributor. I replaced cap,rotor,wires&plugs.They needed it BAD! Light went off .Truck smoothed out. About 3 minutes into test drive, it returned doing the exact same thing, but the truck is still running smooth. Any guesses?
    Sometimes the system has to go through a few start/stop cycles before the error code will clear out. The alternative is to have the code(s) erased, maybe at Autozone.

  5. Thanks GeoLow97 thanked for this post
  6. #4

    Default

    Curious...isn't it?! Alliance, eh? I'm from just north of Y-town! Moved down here bout 2 1/2 years ago. Gonna be 65 degrees today!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Thanks Dana! I'll give that a try..make sure all my connections are secure ...give it some time and if all else fails try a trip to Auto Zone!
    IF IT'S 2WD IT NEEDS LOWERED, IF IT'S 4WD, IT NEEDS LIFTED. FACTORY RIDE HEIGHT IS JUST A GOOD STARTING POINT!

  7. #5
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alliance,Ohio
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Yea! yea it's gonna warm up some today might reach 30 but Mounts playing so that a plus!

  8. #6
    Jr. Engineer poncho62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Hanover, Ont, Canada
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Did you delete the code out of the ECM?...with OBD2, you do it with the scanner

    1997 GMC

  9. Thanks GeoLow97 thanked for this post
  10. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
    Did you delete the code out of the ECM?...with OBD2, you do it with the scanner
    Hmm, no , I did not. Feels like it is running slightly rough again. And the light is still switching from solid to flashing with an increase in engine speed and returning to solid whene it goes back to near idle. Did scan it again and the only thing I'm getting is #1 cylinder misfire. Think it may be the #1 port on the spider injector? I remeber a while back hearing of someone having similar troubles and it turned out to be some sensor or something on the fuel return line or possibly at the tank??? Regardless, I gave it a shot of Lucas injector cleaner. We'll see if it clears up. Never had much luck with stuff like that personally. Thank you all for the suggestions! Keep 'em coming!!!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Oh, and I was told that I can't replace 1 injector. That I have to replace the entire spider. At about $400! Is this true?

  11. #8

    Default

    I'm betting the cylinder one spider leg went bad or came unplugged under the intake. We just went through this with my buddies 98 350
    Chuckie!!!


  12. Thanks GeoLow97 thanked for this post
  13. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    I'm betting the cylinder one spider leg went bad or came unplugged under the intake. We just went through this with my buddies 98 350
    Thank you! Did he have to replace the whole kit and kaboodle or was he able to replace leg?

    By the way, nice Suburban! Had a '90 4WD loaded 1/2 ton. Loved it . Got nicknamed the "Magic Bus"

  14. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoLow97 View Post
    Thank you! Did he have to replace the whole kit and kaboodle or was he able to replace leg? By the way, nice Suburban! Had a '90 4WD loaded 1/2 ton. Loved it . Got nicknamed the "Magic Bus"
    Depends in what setup you have. Most I've seen, the individual legs can be replaced. My buddies just came unplugged from the particular cylinder.

    Thanks. I can't wait to get it running lamborgeeties are getting old lol

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •