GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Would appreciate a Masters advice... 2009, 2010, or 2011?

We have been HEMORRAGHING funds into our Chevys/GMCs over the last few years... and I am OVER IT!!!

1991 GMC Sonoma - Good farm truck, but falling apart
    1994 Chevy K3500 Dually TD Crew - First it was a starter, new motor, then BAD ENGINEERING of the PMD which my hubby avoided for 3 years so the damn thing was "pretty expensive yard art", glow plugs replaced TWICE in the last 5 years, new radiators, battery issues, wiring issues, ANOTHER new starter January 2013 (re-man from Auto Zone that apparently was garbage), and now, yet again, ANOTHER starter which my hubby is putting in as I type, as well as the actuator door which was yet ANOTHER failure on the part of Chevy manufacturing and design. Fuel issues because it doesnt want to start half the time without bleeding out the line... And the list goes on and on and on.
    1999 GMC K3500 Crew - Fuel issues, radiator last year, and a lifter this year (yes, he bought it used... UGH!) Body and interior issues are numerous. And the list goes on and on just like the 94.

So I have HAD ENOUGH of this stupidity! We are spending at least $600 a month to fix, repair, replace, salvage, heal, and make these vehicles just functional enough so that he has a "backup vehicle" to get to work. (So much for the idea of saving for his retirement, right?)

I want to trade in (or preferrably sell privately for a better financial result) the 94 and 99. We will keep the 91 because I do use it on the property alot, and as long as it is running it is a good backup vehicle. And I would love to find a used Chevy (we are near Reno, NV) that can still be warrantied with an extension plan. HOWEVER, with all the reviews, forums, comments, etc, on these sites, I cant get a clear indicator as to which years are more problematic? Looks like the 06s and 07s are pretty much a disaster waiting to happen, and the 2013s are already showing serious issues as well. Anything over 7 years is gonna probably not have extended warranties available, so I am looking at 2009, 2010, 2011 in order for this to be a cost effective purchase (Im not willing to pay for that initial 30% drop in value on the 2012's).

Does anyone have any significant knowledge regarding the manufacturing, structural, mechanical and almost certain emotional and mental nightmares relating to those particular years? Or any of the BEST you might be aware of?

ANY advice would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks!

Dawn

Ok, any time that we get a post like this, we usually try to empathize with the writer. I can understand the frustration. However, there's a bunch of information that we need to know to help you along in the process.

1. Vehicle History. You've got three vehicles. A 1991 (23 years old), 1994 (20 years old) and a 1999 (15 years old). What's the history of these trucks? Who was the first owner? How well did they maintain them? Were they used for light duty, or as part of a heavy duty operation where they were really worked hard for a decade? Most of the time when someone starts a message like this, they've usually only owned for a couple of years, but you never know.
    2. Current Vehicle State. How many miles, how often do you do maintenance, how do you use the trucks, what purpose/goals do you need accomplished and if running properly would the trucks meet those purposes/goals?
    3. Financial Questions. If the trucks are not running properly, what is a realistic cost in both time and money to get them operational again?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

1. Vehicle History - They are old! lol! And he has owned them for MANY MANY years except for the 1999 - he just bought it from a used car guy here in Winnemucca 4 years ago. They are mostly drivers. He loves having the Dually (I think its "a guy thing" ) and wants another. Ultimately, the plan is to be able to use the new purchase once in a VERY great while to help people (my sister, actually) move their 5th wheels once a year. He loves helping people and likes to have the vehicle to do so. And, no, he is NOT the first owner. But he DOES know the original owner and they were only used for light duty/drivers. (The 91 isnt in question cause its just a POS used on our property for garbage, weeds, yard work.)

2. All the vehicles have 250k on them (except the 94...that motor was newly installed about 100k miles ago.) And he is a "car guy". He restores tri-chevys as time and funds allow, so he has INCREDIBLY VAST knowledge - and patience - in making sure the vehicles are ALWAYS in awesome care. HOWEVER, that is always dependent upon "Now what the hell is wrong with it????". lol!

3. Like I said... Im over it! Spending what some months totals upwards of $1000 a month on old vehicles is really not worth it. And I wont even mention how much time he puts in instead of investing that time into the tri-chevys or our property. So, financially, this is precisely why I want to get rid of them. If we keep spending that money on making both the trucks into darn near perfect condition, we will NEVER get that money back, let alone the time in hours he is wasting on them to make them like new. And, the fact is, if he loses his job because he can't get to work, well, then, what the heck is the point of keeping them????

Still hoping someone can advise on the 2009 thru 2011 Chevy question, though. I called Champion Chevrolet in Reno and they said that we can get the additional warranty for about $2000 on a used 2008-2013, but with the 2013 having issues, I wont even consider that year vehicle. And the LTZ is EX-PEN-SIVE!!! So thats not an option either.

So... any suggestions about the newer years models??????

- - - Updated - - -

I think I am going to try to sell the 94 and 99 as a package deal... Winnemucca has ALOT of miners - like my hubby, and ranchers and farmers, so it shouldnt be too difficult to get some money out of them for a down payment on the newer vehicle. God knows we have all the paperwork and backup to the extensive work that has been accomplished thus far. And my husband is widely regarded for his particular skill-set, so his reputation always precedes him as an honest and fair man, which should help in the selling process with the locals... I hope.
    After that, and after the 57 and 56 get completed, its off to Mecum or B/J! lol! Totally different clientelle!

Well first off if your planning on moving 5thwheels and large loads you want to look at the 2500 series truck, either a Diesel or big block.
    The problems most owners are having are with 2007 to early 2010 5.3 engines, it seems to be a few different symptoms that all trace back to high oil consumption and eventual engine failure.
    The body and interior arent perfect but incidences of problems are few and far between.
    Id recommend a nicely dressed 2500 LT big block 2010-2013.
    A smartly outfitted LT can include just as many bells and whistles as an LTZ but be priced lower,
    Probably the most obvious thing missing between the two trucks would be the absense of leather on an LT.

You got any photos? lol. In the next years I have plans for a project truck and I'm going to recruit some locals to help me with them and get them done right.

My point in the questions is that maybe you've done enough with them that you don't have to spend any more and you're good for another 100,000 miles without more than just oil changes. ??? That's possible, and that would be your cheapest option vs. spending $25,000 on a 4-year old 2010 (yes, 2010 trucks are now considered 4-years-old!) 2500HD ... if you could find a truck for that little money.

- - - Updated - - -

... ok, looks like they're still asking a lot for the 2010 2500 Silverado. So, not sure what your budget it, etc. Looks like you're in a remote part of NV as well, is that correct?

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...RM&enableSeo=1

Just picked a random area of 150 miles and these are about the mid-level of their first group of listings ... probably could expect to pay at least 10% less than these prices, but it's a starting point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Used Chevrolet Silverado 2500   in 89445   on Cars.com.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	56399

I keep hoping and praying that there wont be "one more thing" that happens to these trucks, but its just not worth the gamble anymore cause even I, that little ol' lady on the corner without any car knowledge whatsoever, can pick 100 different things that will eventually need to be replaced in vehicles made in the 90's and prior.

On average, most people will spend up to $200 a month on replacement parts and/or repairs of some sort on older vehicles. And I get that. But my husbands time is MUCH too valuable to be constantly spending 20 hours a week working on his trucks. I'd rather make a car payment on a newer vehicle so we can invest in his time into the tri-chevy frame-off restorations with a hugely greater level of profitability.

I would be curious if Chevy has figured out the 5.3 oil/engine problem... but as a matter of interest we prefer a diesel.

Any other suggestions, shop manual memos from Chevy, anything, would be appreciated, as well.

I had a chat with Chevroletís chief engineer about 6 months ago. He said they fixed the afm engine problem where it was consuming oil. What other issues are you referring to our was that it?

Like I said I am just trying to get a feel for the 2008/09 thru 2010'ish. Its pretty clear that with many vehicles, when they make a change here or there, the problems don't show up till a couple years down the road (Our 97 and 99 Cadillacs - yes, we were stupid enough to buy TWO of them with doing the research- OUR BAD!- Northstar engines are a PRIME example of that with their short bolts and the head gasket blowouts that surfaced on those years after about 80,000 miles due to bad engineering).

Sometimes I wish they would stop "reinventing the wheel" on these damn vehicles! ;)

And thanks for your input, guys! It is greatly appreciated!

(Two mistakes I will never make again is buying a vehicle without a shop manual and not doing more research!)