GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Exhaust manifold to y pipe bolt broke.

Hey guys, Has anybody tried to take off the y pipe on their truck and the bolt(s) connecting the manifold and y pipe broke?
    Brittle bolt flanges?

I tried to take off my y pipe only to find out the passenger side flange had burnt away..leaving only a half of it...not only that, 2 out of 6 of the bolts broke..so now i have the pipe connected but not to the manifolds but its hanging there since i cant completely hook it up now.

Im going to have to take it to a shop (I knew this was gonna have to happen when the bolts broke because I don't have a drill -_- ) and have them do it for me huh?

Thanks in advance.

(info about the truck is in the signature).
    1988 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado 5.7 350 Reg Cab Long Bed
    15X8 Pro Comp wheels ready for mounting (need new tires) Spectre air filter. More mods coming soon.
    106K on the odometer as of now.

Those bolts breaking is very common on older vehicles, almost expected, especially on older vehicles that have spent any time in the snow
    on salted roads. it rusts and corrodes the metal. if there's enough of the stud left you might get them out with vise grips
    by soaking them with liquid wrench an applying heat with a torch. if not, it' drill or replace the manifold. good luck!

Take the exhaust manifolds off and take them to the shop. Maybe a pia, but it will save a few Christmas bucks at the shop because they won't be removing them for you
    Chuckie!!!

Legend

bringing to a muffler shop they can burn out the bolts. then install studs .

removal of the manifolds and using a drills with cutting oil you can drill out the old rusted studs.

when removing studs in the exhaust manifold for the exhaust with a torch you heat the manifold area of the flange till red , not the studs too much then with a socket apply torque gradually until the stud shrinks and the stud should come out...

when replacing other components like the O2 sensors this is also done....

Ok thanks a lot guys.
    1988 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado 5.7 350 Reg Cab Long Bed
    15X8 Pro Comp wheels ready for mounting (need new tires) Spectre air filter. More mods coming soon.
    106K on the odometer as of now.