GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Tire Size

  1. #1

    Default Tire Size

    Hey I was wondering what the largest tire size I could fit on my 2008 Silverado with a Rough Country 2.5 Leveling kit. Also I was looking for some tires that were cheaper then nitto or toyo that would give me both a good look and good quality. Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default

    With no rubbing... I'd say 285x70 or 33x11.5. My next set of tires I'm getting are 285x65r18... with the specific tire I am looking at are 32.8x11.8
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

    Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

  3. #3

    Default

    I'm running 275/60R20 Cooper AT3s with a 2.5 inch leveling kit on my '08. Very minimal rubbing on driver's side when wheels were at full lock to the left. Just had to snip the very edge of the plastic where it rubbed.
    -Sal


    2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

    Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

    Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

  4. #4
    Sr. Apprentice GeorgiaZ71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Loganville, GA
    Posts
    65

    Default

    What wheel size do you have on your truck (or are you planning on going with?) I'm not sure about an 08, I just got my 14' Silverado and first thing I did was put a 2.5" lift/level kit on it...and put new tires. After doing a TON of a research on what would fit (without rubbing) and what wouldn't...I went with 275/70/18. I put on Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs...they are VERY tough looking and I've been told they wear like iron (should get alot of miles with them). There is no rubbing issues at all. I had read about people saying 285/60 or 285/65/18's.... I looked up each tire manufacturers website and looked at the actual specs for each tire I was interested in....275/70's are always taller. They are between 33.2-33.4" tall depending on the make. The 285's were never over 33" tall. I'm not sure if there are any differences in clearance between an 08 and 14 (I would think not) ... but I would recommend checking out the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. And ps- I did zero research on a 17" wheel, so I can't help you there.

    http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

    On my truck:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...b-from-Georgia
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 | 2.5" level/lift | 275/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

  5. #5

    Default

    285-65-18's as stated earlier. I ran two sets in this size with NO rubbing with the prototype 2" level kit on my truck. 33-12.50-20's did rub some but that was on the sway bar and at full lock. To fix this I drilled two small holes in the front inner fender and zip tied it back so it would not rub and so I wouldn't have to hack it all up to clear properly. Use black ties on both sized. On the front inner fender toward the cab I took a blade and cut the plastic flush to the body and deburred the plastic so it looked clean. Then I had no rubbing. < this was just an idea if you wanted a true 33" tall tire.

    With most level kits a 32.5 tire is all your going to effectively clear without any modifications to the fenders.

    Stay away from high offset wheels as these make clearing 285's and such hard since they push the tire further out of the fenders and cause the tire to hit on the bumper pieces and below the doors. Stock offset should be highly considered when doing level kits.
    2009 Silvia~Superlift 6"~DropStars~Nitto Trail Graps~FSOR Catback~Madtunes Racing~4.10 gears~cleared headlights~hi-6

    NNBS SILVERADO BUILD

  6. #6
    Sr. Apprentice GeorgiaZ71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Loganville, GA
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmanh5 View Post
    ... this was just an idea if you wanted a true 33" tall tire.

    With most level kits a 32.5 tire is all your going to effectively clear without any modifications to the fenders.
    Are you speaking for the 08's specifically regarding the modifications to fenders with any tire over 32.5"? I clear a 33.4" tall tire with absolutely no rubbing at any point in the steering rotation...and have done mild off-roading with no rubbing at all. All this on my 2014, with a 2.5" level/lift from Rough Country (as stated by the OP in his original question). I kept stock wheel, and I had no reason to go wider then 275s, I didn't really even want any wider due to personal reasons - based on the look.. but like I said, no rubbing at all.

    What do you mean by a "true" 33" tire? If you go to any tire manufacturers website and pull up the tire you want, if you find the link for full specifications, they list the height and width for each size of that tire (as well as a ton of other info - load rating, weight, approved rim widths, etc).
    So for example: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac from Goodyear website:
    33X12.50R15LT - 32.8" tall
    LT275/70R18 - 33.4" tall

    I thought the only difference in sizing was metric vs standard? Metric is some weird equation like the second number is the sidewall, and it's a percentage of the first number which is the width in millimeters. But I would still think you could have a true 33" tall (or any size you are looking for) with a metric measured tire.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 | 2.5" level/lift | 275/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZ71 View Post
    Are you speaking for the 08's specifically regarding the modifications to fenders with any tire over 32.5"? I clear a 33.4" tall tire with absolutely no rubbing at any point in the steering rotation...and have done mild off-roading with no rubbing at all. All this on my 2014, with a 2.5" level/lift from Rough Country (as stated by the OP in his original question). I kept stock wheel, and I had no reason to go wider then 275s, I didn't really even want any wider due to personal reasons - based on the look.. but like I said, no rubbing at all.

    What do you mean by a "true" 33" tire? If you go to any tire manufacturers website and pull up the tire you want, if you find the link for full specifications, they list the height and width for each size of that tire (as well as a ton of other info - load rating, weight, approved rim widths, etc).
    So for example: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac from Goodyear website:
    33X12.50R15LT - 32.8" tall
    LT275/70R18 - 33.4" tall

    I thought the only difference in sizing was metric vs standard? Metric is some weird equation like the second number is the sidewall, and it's a percentage of the first number which is the width in millimeters. But I would still think you could have a true 33" tall (or any size you are looking for) with a metric measured tire.
    On this I am referring to the NNBS trucks. On the NNNBS(new new new body style if you please) I am unsure as I have not yet had the opportunity to tinker with one.

    By "true" yes I meant going off of dealers specs on their tires castings. The closest "true" being closest to a 33" tire being a 32.9 or 33.2.

    And yes, you are right on the standard vs metric situation. The size is a formula (so to speak) determined upon the width, sidewall height, and the wheel size. This all in turn give you your diameter and width in "standard" size so to speak. I did run 275-70-18 Nitto Terra grapplers at one time with absolutely no rubbing. This was due to the fact that the tire had minimal lug depth and was not aggressively shouldered. The mud grapplers I tried at one time had all sorts of rubbing issues during the photo shoot due to their aggressive lugs. Also some tire manufactures measure to the lug(if aggressive depths) while some measure to the casing itself. This is also common among ATV tire manufacturers so they can compete with larger tire sizes yet have less money involved while marketing a smaller tire as a bigger size.

    Sorry for any confusion.
    2009 Silvia~Superlift 6"~DropStars~Nitto Trail Graps~FSOR Catback~Madtunes Racing~4.10 gears~cleared headlights~hi-6

    NNBS SILVERADO BUILD

  8. #8
    Sr. Apprentice GeorgiaZ71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Loganville, GA
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmanh5 View Post
    On this I am referring to the NNBS trucks. On the NNNBS(new new new body style if you please) I am unsure as I have not yet had the opportunity to tinker with one.

    By "true" yes I meant going off of dealers specs on their tires castings. The closest "true" being closest to a 33" tire being a 32.9 or 33.2.

    And yes, you are right on the standard vs metric situation. The size is a formula (so to speak) determined upon the width, sidewall height, and the wheel size. This all in turn give you your diameter and width in "standard" size so to speak. I did run 275-70-18 Nitto Terra grapplers at one time with absolutely no rubbing. This was due to the fact that the tire had minimal lug depth and was not aggressively shouldered. The mud grapplers I tried at one time had all sorts of rubbing issues during the photo shoot due to their aggressive lugs. Also some tire manufactures measure to the lug(if aggressive depths) while some measure to the casing itself. This is also common among ATV tire manufacturers so they can compete with larger tire sizes yet have less money involved while marketing a smaller tire as a bigger size.

    Sorry for any confusion.
    Ok, makes sense...I think you know quite a bit more about this than I do! Thanks for the follow-up...and sorry to OP for hi-jacking the thread. And on the tire sizes...I was totally shocked when doing research about the overall height of tires. I would never have guessed a 275/70/18 would be bigger (or should I say taller) then a 33" tire!
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 | 2.5" level/lift | 275/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZ71 View Post
    Ok, makes sense...I think you know quite a bit more about this than I do! Thanks for the follow-up...and sorry to OP for hi-jacking the thread. And on the tire sizes...I was totally shocked when doing research about the overall height of tires. I would never have guessed a 275/70/18 would be bigger (or should I say taller) then a 33" tire!
    Your welcome. And it's confusing at first to take it all in but it's easy to learn.
    2009 Silvia~Superlift 6"~DropStars~Nitto Trail Graps~FSOR Catback~Madtunes Racing~4.10 gears~cleared headlights~hi-6

    NNBS SILVERADO BUILD

  10. #10
    Legend


    mfleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    7,213
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimTom64b View Post
    With no rubbing... I'd say 285x70 or 33x11.5. My next set of tires I'm getting are 285x65r18... with the specific tire I am looking at are 32.8x11.8
    I agree...the 285/70/17s will fit just fine (I think you have 17s?). On my 2008, I had a Ready Lift 2.25" leveling kit with that tire size and they fit nicely and had a great look.


    Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

    SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •