GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    monroe are good shocks for the money. I.e. They are happy medium between cost and efficiency. The old saying holds true. You get what you pay for. With that being said, I do a lot of shopping on eBay to find good name products for a better price. I'm going to run coil over type shocks on the rear of my suburban since I tow a lot and only have 1/2 ton springs (for now lol). Energy suspension and prothane (spelling?) are both good for poly bushings. However, replacing old worn bushings with even the rubber type will get you better handling. You will be rather surprised at what results are yielded to replacing 10yo bushings. I for one will spend the extra coin on poly any day. It last longer and doesn't squish as much as rubber making your chassis stiffer. A larger sway bar will also decrease the amount of roll your experiencing. However, your in a truck. It's going to handle like one unless it's on a corvette chassis lol
    I had monroe shocks on my truck and they lasted less than a year! I had the reflex. I had the reflex mono tube for a week, they rode like crap so I exchanged them. I took them off to install my Bilsteins ($70 each) and the monroes would not return when I pushed them in. I warrantied them and sold them on craigslist. Bilstein shocks are consistently voted the best shock for our trucks by most members here and on other sites. Urethane bushings are nice. But, can squeak like crazy. My hellwig anti-sway bars came with urethane. They reduced body roll significantly. They can be had on amazon for a decent price.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    Don't put anything there without extensive research. It's not as simple as a battery and a couple of cables. Not that it won't work that way, as long as you are red to red and black to black, it's just that having two batteries on the same circuit only gets you the benefit of being able to use up two batteries as fast as one.
    haha I know its just the immediate thoughts of I could hook up that winch and utility lights etc etc..
    Its a spot for a backup or maybe a battery for the boat.
    I like my bikes like my women, fast, dirty and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I had monroe shocks on my truck and they lasted less than a year! I had the reflex. I had the reflex mono tube for a week, they rode like crap so I exchanged them. I took them off to install my Bilsteins ($70 each) and the monroes would not return when I pushed them in. I warrantied them and sold them on craigslist. Bilstein shocks are consistently voted the best shock for our trucks by most members here and on other sites. Urethane bushings are nice. But, can squeak like crazy. My hellwig anti-sway bars came with urethane. They reduced body rill significantly.
    i use the sensatrak shocks. Had them on my 87 s10 for over a year and were still working.
    Chuckie!!!

i use the sensatrak shocks. Had them on my 87 s10 for over a year and were still working.
    when I took them back for warranty the manager said that they see them fail in about a year on average. His reason, "Michigan roads will do that" Most people never pull them off to check them. They still felt like they were dampening when I was driving. Just did not return when pushed in. Plus, you could hear the fluid squirting passed the piston as I pushed them in.

Ive always use the Monroe Gas-Magnums, "the yellow ones".

You guys might have gone over these, Gabriel HD Shocks?
    http://www.carparts.com/details/GMC/...FUgS7Aodsx0AIA

Energy Suspension offering some nice cheap replacements and greaseable, thats nice. About to pull the trigger on these.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-5161g/overview/
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-8117g/overview/

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    when I took them back for warranty the manager said that they see them fail in about a year on average. His reason, "Michigan roads will do that" Most people never pull them off to check them. They still felt like they were dampening when I was driving. Just did not return when pushed in. Plus, you could hear the fluid squirting passed the piston as I pushed them in.
    longevity of suspension also depends on driving style and what the vehicle is used for. I agree with you that the reflex is worthless for the price, but the sensatrak took all the abuse I put my s10 through for more than a year while still riding like a brand new truck. Rode like crap before I installed them. Autozone Gabriels are a crapshoot. I'll never buy those again lol bilsteins are a great shock as are kyb. I definitely am not Monroe loyal. Unfortunately all brand lines have their "lame duck" product. If you can afford the yellow bilsteins then definitely go for those. I can't afford much on a $9hr paycheck.

longevity of suspension also depends on driving style and what the vehicle is used for. I agree with you that the reflex is worthless for the price, but the sensatrak took all the abuse I put my s10 through for more than a year while still riding like a brand new truck. Rode like crap before I installed them. Autozone Gabriels are a crapshoot. I'll never buy those again lol bilsteins are a great shock as are kyb. I definitely am not Monroe loyal. Unfortunately all brand lines have their "lame duck" product. If you can afford the yellow bilsteins then definitely go for those. I can't afford much on a $9hr paycheck.
    I use my truck to drive my son to school in the morning. Drive myself to school and to the gym. On occasional weekends I load the back up with a few bags of mortar and some brick, that is when I find side work. I generally drive like an old lady. nice and slow accels and coasting to a light. I am not going anywhere fast in my truck anyway, so I might as well try to save gas. The shocks that went bad on me were the fronts. I still had the factory nivomat shocks on the rear until last month when I finally sold enough crap on craigs list to have the money to buy the bilstein shocks and rear coil springs.

I always use the Monroe Gas-Magnums "the yellow ones" havent ever had an issue yet but still unsure if they last. Theres a pair on my e250 well see.

You guys ever use those Gabriel coilover shocks?
    Looks like you might be able to get an inch lift with these all around.

Quote Originally Posted by taggat View Post
    I always use the Monroe Gas-Magnums havent ever had an issue yet but still unsure if they last. Theres a pair on my e250 well see.

You guys ever use those Gabriel coilover shocks?
    Looks like you might be able to get an inch lift with these all around.

I had the Gas-Magnums on my last yukon xl. they rode pretty rough but they were nice when towing the boat. I can not tell you if they last because 2 months after putting them on the truck was totaled. I have not used the coil overs. if i were going to do something like that I would go with air bags or the other system that other members have used here. (can't think of the name of it). I dont like the added stresses that the coil overs would add to the shock mount brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by taggat View Post
    I always use the Monroe Gas-Magnums "the yellow ones" havent ever had an issue yet but still unsure if they last. Theres a pair on my e250 well see. You guys ever use those Gabriel coilover shocks? Looks like you might be able to get an inch lift with these all around.
    all Gabriel's are crap. I used to sell them when I worked for autozone. Nothing but complaints