GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default 8100 Vortec 5W30 only?

So I was reading up the onwers manual about doing an oil change on the 8100 Vortec engine and they state that never use 10W40 or 20W50 wheight oil. Does somebody know what the cause of this is? I know many manufactors don't recommend this kind of wheight due to in winter or in cold conditions the oil is to heavy. But this manual states the big no at all conditions. Will it hurt the engine? Has someone tried it and had bad luck? Im guessing right off now that due to it beeing a tall deck motor the engine oil takes too long to go up to the lifters and so and that due to this there is wear of the valvetrain and cam,.. am i correct?

Many new engines are built with smaller oil galleries and with a thicker oil you may not keep the same oil pressure as your engine needs, as well ass your mileage may decrease.

I agree with "gbear" about the tighter tolerances. The lower visc. is also designed to give better fuel mileage, due to lowering friction. I went up on my last trucdk and lost a from a half to one mpg, so Ii went back to the thinner visc. Good luck and Happy New Year!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Former Member

10/30 synthetic in mine with no problems 101,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by 572ysc View Post
    So I was reading up the onwers manual about doing an oil change on the 8100 Vortec engine and they state that never use 10W40 or 20W50 wheight oil. Does somebody know what the cause of this is? I know many manufactors don't recommend this kind of wheight due to in winter or in cold conditions the oil is to heavy. But this manual states the big no at all conditions. Will it hurt the engine? Has someone tried it and had bad luck? Im guessing right off now that due to it beeing a tall deck motor the engine oil takes too long to go up to the lifters and so and that due to this there is wear of the valvetrain and cam,.. am i correct?

I've been using Redline 10W-40 in my 6.0 for years and have never noticed a decrease in gas mileage. It actually runs a lot better and also helped with the CSK.