GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Unhappy dual climate control not working ..any ideas??

My 04 chevy climate control system is not working right. drivers side set at 60 blows cold...pass side at 60 blows hot. Whats with that. Checked all fuses that pertain to hvac and that stuff all fine. My battry was dead the other day and I put my 10 amp charger on it. The needle on the charger was shaking not looking right. Unplugged it and tried it again. this time it was normal. I'm thinking the batt was too dead. Anyway I also installed my trailer brake wiring harness lately. That works fine. Did I screw up some kind of computer chip somewhere when i tried charging my batt. I also noticed one of my bigger green 40 bus fuse was blown. The one in the upper left hand corner under the hood. But after replacing no luck. The system starts to work normal but then the old lady gets all hot on her side. Not the place I want to get her hot. Any ideas. I am going to try and unhook the batt for a hour and see if it helps maybe reset somekind of program.
    I just called the dealer and they mentioned maybe a actuator is sticking. ?? Anyone else have this problem.
    Thanks
    Last edited by KBw04.2500; 04-28-2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: correction

Sounds like the passenger side blend door actuator has died. I've heard it's a bear to get to, up behind the center of the dash somewhere. If it were the driver's side, it's low enough to reach without pulling the dash, but I don't think that is the case with pass side.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Yeah it might be that?? The drivers side works well but the pass side starts to work then starts blowing only hot. I've tried holding in the auto button for 5 seconds and that makes both sides respond only to the drivers dial...still no go.

Wow what a little research can find. Reading several posts on several sites I have found that this dual climate control problem is very common. The solution my dealhore/stealor has is for me to bring in the truck and they will research the problem. NOT. This is a very common problem that needs a very simple solution. Chevrolet should send out a bulletin to owners on how to fix. If you change batteries, yours goes dead, or your doing some maintenance that requires unhooking the positive then your dual climate control will need fixing. BS. Give us the know how on simple fixes. Most posts talk about the passenger actuator needing resetting cause it looses its memory. A lot of posts talk about unhooking battery let stand for 5 minutes and then reconnect. I called another dealer and explained all of my findings and asked for some free advice. I asked if there were any bulletins that covered this. He called back and found one that states… step one clear codes. Would that be unhook battery? For 38 bucks he said they could do it. Tonight I will try and fix this problem and post my results. 38 bucks is a lot of money to me. Does anyone know how to access technical bulletins? My dealer went on line and found one.

got it
    had to pull red battery cable
    sounds like a fuse can be pulled also

Great job!! It's good to know this. Thanks for being persistant with the dealer. Beats the heck out of pulling the dash.

Default Same Problem

This happened to me on my 2004 GMC 2500 SLT 4x4. Except I had done nothing to it and was driving down the road, a/c on high at lowest setting both sides, when the drivers side starts blowing very hot air while the passenger side was still blowing cold. Shut the ac off then after 10 min stopped and shut the truck off and was moving the drivers side temp slide from cold to hot a few times. When I restarted the truck it worked fine. Glad I found this forum incase it happens again.