GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Coolant temp questions

Several months ago I started having a slow lower radiator hose leak and my mechanic said it could wait repair until the winter, so long as I occasionally topped of the coolant, which I did. I recently changed the hose and had a coolant flush as well. I have an ultragauge and before the hose change and flush my temp ran between 210-230 and after it is between 190-195. My 2 questions are is that normal and did I do any damage to my motor by running it warm for a few months.
    2004 GMC Sierra SLT Z71, Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover, Rhinoliner bed liner, Putco side rails, Weathertech window deflectors and floor mats, AMP Research bed extender, GMC cloth seat covers, light bar, lights and more to come.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Ls engines come standard with a 195 thermostat, so you are running perfect now.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

"LS" trucks came OEM with 187F stat not 195F.

Legend

the reason you ran at the above normal temp was because you had a leak. your mechanic is not too smart ....

any leaks must be stopped quickly , with no pressure the coolant will boil and the water pump pumps water not air bubbles. also air bubbles doe not conduct heat very well. by delaying the hose/leak repair you did some damage to the engine. perhaps not enough to notice..

any time you see that temp wander you have a leak ..the temp should lock in at the 195-200 deg f mark.

if it is very cold below 20 deg f it may with the heater on max drop to 190 deg f.

Never allow a leak to linger on, nothing good will come from that, ever...I would find a new mechanic, your seems to have a leak.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the reason you ran at the above normal temp was because you had a leak. your mechanic is not too smart ....

any leaks must be stopped quickly , with no pressure the coolant will boil and the water pump pumps water not air bubbles. also air bubbles doe not conduct heat very well. by delaying the hose/leak repair you did some damage to the engine. perhaps not enough to notice..

any time you see that temp wander you have a leak ..the temp should lock in at the 195-200 deg f mark.

if it is very cold below 20 deg f it may with the heater on max drop to 190 deg f.
    Agree 100%/ Find a new mechanic. that hose should have been changed asap.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Apprentice

Leak repaired, coolant flush done as I noted in my original post. The question was what damage to the motor could I have done by running between 210-230 (mostly around 210 but occasionally crept up to about 230).Hopefully the damage if any was slight as noted above. Everything seems to be fine now.
    2004 GMC Sierra SLT Z71, Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover, Rhinoliner bed liner, Putco side rails, Weathertech window deflectors and floor mats, AMP Research bed extender, GMC cloth seat covers, light bar, lights and more to come.

Legend

the tranny fluid gets damaged from the higher temps.. drop the pan clean and replace fluid / filter...

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the tranny fluid gets damaged from the higher temps.. drop the pan clean and replace fluid / filter...
    Will do, thanks for that advice.