GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Default The 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Quick Look At Chevrolet's New Mid-Size Pickup

Posted: December 02, 2013
    The 2015 Chevrolet Colorado

Quick Look At Chevrolet's New Mid-Size Pickup

By Dan Sanchez

With mid-size truck sales well beneath the shadow of full-size pickups, the mid-size market receives a big boost with the reveal of Chevrolet's 2015 Colorado pickup. The truck will feature a standard 2.5L I-4 that is estimated to make 193 horsepower and 184 lbs-ft. of torque. The optional 3.6L V-6 is estimated at producing 302 horsepower and 270 lbs.-ft. of torque. Both engines feature direct injection and variable valve timing and are attached to a six-speed automatic transmission. The 2.5L is available with a six-speed manual transmission on extended cab 2WD Work Truck models. According to Chevrolet, the Colorado will offer class-leading power and payload capacity, of more than 6,700 lbs. Chevrolet also mentions the Colorado will offer a Duramax 2.8L I-4 diesel in the truck's second year of production.
    The truck features a 6-foot bed in extended cab models, and comes with a five or six-foot bed in crew cab configurations. The bedsides are noticeably taller and come standard with bed and tailgate protectors. The bed is also is available with an EZ Lift-and-Lower tailgate and the rear bumper on the Colorado also features a CornerStep like on the 2014 Siliverado.
    From the front, the Colorado is definitely more aerodynamic and features triple sealed doors that also help to keep the interior quiet. An aluminum hood helps lighten the truck, while also improving on its front-to-rear weight balance. The car-like front grille features electronic grille shutters that close when driving on the highway to improve the truck's aerodynamics. The Colorado will be available in WT, LT and Z71 trims, and in 2WD or 4WD. The Z71 trim features a gunmetal grille surround, projector headlamps and unique 17-inch aluminum wheels to separate it from the other models.
    Inside, Chevrolet engineers added sculpted door panels that provide more headroom to enter and exit the vehicle. The center console is large enough to store a tablet and there's additional storage on the truck's upper instrument panel and glove box, as well as under the rear seats. Chevrolet also added an eight-inch touch screen and multiple USB ports. A large 3.4-inch diagonal driver information screen is easy to see and is set in the instrument cluster.
    Added safety features include six standard air bags and a rear-vision camera. Optional safety items includes forward collision alert and lane departure warning systems. All models will come standard with GM's StabiliTrack electronic stability control system that includes trailer sway control, hill start assist and hill descent control on Z71 models.
    The Colorado's suspension features a front coil over system with aluminum knuckles and electronic power steering. With a 41-foot turning radius, the Colorado can easily make tight turns. Standard four-wheel disc brakes include Duralife brake rotors that are used on the 2014 Silverado. An automatic locking rear differential (G80) is also offered on WT and LT models, and comes standard on Z71 equipped trucks.
    According to General Motor's executive vice president Mark Reuss, the company designed the 2015 Colorado to be a truck that meets the needs of the broadest range of customers possible. With improved power and capability, the truck will definitely be one that the aftermarket will be creating lots of accessories for and will hopefully bring more customers into stores looking for products to customize and accessorize for work or weekend activities.

The Colorado features a large 3.5-inch center monitor with backup camera.

The interior is roomy for a mid-sized pickup and is designed to be comfortable.

SImilar to the Silverado, the truck will incorporate a rear bumper step to provide easier access to cargo.
    Readers Respond

I had a s10 crew cab box was to small with the new Colorado having a 6 ft box am REALLY thinking about getting a new one insted of a guilty size now that it has the power of the v8 in a 6 cyl By Jimmy-dean couturier on 2013 12 04
    I can't wait to see a midsize truck with a diesel engine. Might be a game changer in the segment. By Rob Lechot on 2013 12 03
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I'm Pretty excited about this. Finances permitting, I would want the diesel.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

A 300hp V-6 and six foot bed? Not bad!
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

I was just reading a road test story in an Aussie car magazine about the Holden Colorado. The truck was equipped with the 2.8L turbo diesel, which is the same motor that will become available in 2015 here in the states. I was really surprised by the power numbers. The 2.8 is only rated for 197 HP, but torque is a very impressive 370 lb-ft. I think I might have found my next truck, as long as the crew-cab back seat has more leg room then the last generation Colorado.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

I want the diesel 4x4 4 door Colorado. Thinking I'll hold on to my Nissan Frontier till Chevy releases that.

I like the "Man" step in the rear bumper.. Sure would be nice to have in a lifted truck when my old... ummmm self has to get up in the bed to wash the roof and rear window

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper