GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coolest? cars??

Default coolest? cars??

Advertisers are always saying things to get people's attention, and the automotive marketplace in particular can be very competitive. All that said, someone advertising Toyota Scion's on the radio was encouraging people to drive "the coolest car on the road." Really? Maybe I'm a little too old or too old-fashioned to enter into the debate, but I don't think anything from Toyota would make my list of candidates for "coolest car on the road." Not that Toyota's aren't good cars, but when I think of "cool cars", I think maybe of classic Detroit muscle cars like Mustangs, Corvettes, or Chargers. Maybe include the Nissan Z series. I also would think of exotics like Lamborghini or Porsche. Or maybe as I get older throw in some classic luxury names like Jaguar or BMW or Cadillac.

But Toyota Scion?? It may be a good car and maybe I'm getting old, but I just can't see it being anywhere close to the "coolest car on the road."
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I got some cool car pics to post up here... when I'm not chained to my desk at work.

I guess "cool" is relative. My brother in law, who considers himself a "hipster" and is big in the indie music scene has a scion Xb. He loves it. Among other members of that group that is considered a really cool car. I like to think of it as a toaster on wheels. I would not consider it a cool vehicle by any means. What I consider cool: newer corvettes, vipers, chargers, camaro and of course the classic versions of the mentioned vehicles. What is kinda funny is that he considers those vehicles cool also. He probably would not know how to start one if he sat in it, but he thinks they are cool. My wife's 2013 caravan= not cool Practical? yes. Cool? No way!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I think they may have been targeting a certain demographic age group, which would not include us muscle car and exotic car guys. I think they are targeting those who want the bass in the stereo to be heard in the next county, and those with the 4 banger turbo small cars with the big fart box exhaust that slide them around hollering check out my power and handling. I think they are funny looking goof ball cars my self, but back in my youth, I can remember picking up a new 396 ss chevelle, taking it straight to buddy rice who was the premier engine builder for a shot of horse power and torque, then to jim blowlands, bo's performance who built dragsters for tranny and rear end gearing, then to city spring to get the suspension right, then to jos esco for u.s. indy mags and daytona tires, then to radio shack for a new state of the art kraco stereo and a set of rear deck kraco 6x9's, the ole man shaking his head and saying why would you screw up a perfectly good new car like that. lol. I seem to recall doing the same drill to a 63 impala with a 327, then onto a road runnner 383 magnum, and a coronet gtx . So as much as that generation didnt understand why I was wasting money ( as they put it) on my cars, I to dont understand why they are wasting money on those little fart box's. I must be out of touch with todays youth.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

I am and always have been a truck guy but if I had the money I would definitely buy one of these beautiful machines, an Aston Martin Vanquish. By far the coolest car on the road today. I love everything about this car, it's absolutely perfect. You want to make a grown man/gearhead cry? Just go ahead and google/youtube the exhaust sound on this. It's a thing of mechanical beauty. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vanquish-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	56603

My wife has the exact same sentiments! She likes her Suburban and hopefully I can get her a newer one someday soon, but she wants an Aston, silver too!

I wish that I could afford one but the military just doesn't pay enough It's probably for the best, even if I did own one I don't think I'd ever see it. I don't think my wife would never drive her truck anymore...

It's all advertising. Of course nobody actually would look at a Corvette or Shelby GT500 or Aston Martin and then look at a Scion and actually think the Scion is cool. But that is what Toyota will advertise...to get young adults who can only afford a $15k car to buy it. After living in Detroit and working for GM and Ford Motor for over 12 years...I would never buy a Foreign car ...but that is a whole different topic.

Sidenote - I know someone who has a scion and after riding it...it's complete garbage. It feels (and is!) so cheap. My friend broke the center console getting in the car in the first year. Had it fixed, and it broke again. It's like unless you are a 105lb teenage girl...you are going to break the car.

What do I think is cool...well, besides all the obvious muscle and sports cars... I think the Avalanche is a really cool vehicle. I think the Hummer SUT's (H2T and H3T) are so cool. Jeep Wranglers are cool to me. I have heard rumors that Jeep is going to make a Wrangler pickup... I can't wait to see what that looks like.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 | 2.5" level/lift | 275/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

I know others wouldn't see my old Tahoe as cool, but I think its the coolest and most perfect vehicle you can own for $3,500. Its powerful, tough, big and luxurious.I love every second of driving the behemoth even with its lose steering, poor MPG, and big turning radius.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Im not into the little compact cars or suv's as cool but even though its probably not on the road I do think this is cool

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast