GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Gauge lights in a 2000 Silverado...what do I look for?

So, ya'll know that Christmas is coming around and my fiance is looking for gauge lights for his truck and I am trying to look for some but do not know exactly what I am looking for. Can anyone help me out?

is he looking to replace the bad bulbs in his instrument cluster? does he want LED? is he good a soldering? the cluster will have to be disassembled, the old bulbs unsoldered and new bulbs soldered in. There are kits available that come with all the bulbs needed. I am good at soldering, I am a certified Mechanic, and I have not attempted to replace my few burned out cluster bulbs. I have done them in my steering wheel buttons, they are the same, but if you mess those up the button only cost $18. Melting the circuit board on the cluster can turn into a very costly mistake. ($300-$500 for a new cluster) Alternatively, you can take the cluster out of the truck and ship it to a place that will charge you $125 for a compete rebuild. This includes replacing all of the stepper motors (the motors that move the needles on the gauges, these are known to be bad on that year truck. The go bad and the needles stop moving. Knowing my luck I would change out all of the bulbs and then a stepper motor would go out.) Usually if you ship it to them on a friday you will have it back be the next friday. the truck can still be driven without the cluster, just need to make sure that the gas tank is full and use a gps or cell phone to monitor your speed. The company will also install different colored bulbs if that is what you are looking for. Send me a PM If you are interested in the info for the company, they do not pay to advertise here so I can not post the info on the public forum.
    Last edited by Pikey; 12-05-2013 at 11:11 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Me being me, and not so familiar with physically working with trucks, I did not know that much went into it! He wanted to just change the light color and go from there. Now, I don't think he can do that without it costing so much!

He could always try it himself. I do not suggest it but he can try. The LEDs are pretty cheap $15-$25 total. Here is a video that I found on youtube: