GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Special tool?

Default Special tool?

Is there a special tool to release the tension on the serpatine belt system to change the belt. This is for a '99 Suburban 5.7 with a/c and p/s
    "American by birth, Southern by the grace of GOD"

Nope you just need a 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar and just put it in to the square spot on the tensionor.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

3. Likes reggiecab2000 liked this post

Like Conlan said just a ratchet works fine. There actually is a special tool that makes it a little easier. It is a long skinny bar that you can put different adapters in, (1/2", 3/8", and some different sized sockets come with it) They are around $15 at harbor freight. I have one, but only use it when working on certain cars were there is no room between the fender wall and the tensioner to get a ratchet in there. This is the cheap one I have

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Agree with the previous posts. All you need is the 3/8" ratchet/bar. I actually just changed my tensioner a few weeks ago so I had to remove the belt. The whole job took all of 15 minutes. The belt on this 5.7 is probably one of the easier ones I've ever removed...

Legend
    Blog Entries

If your working on a fwd vehicle pikeys serpentine tool is awesome, that's the only thing that would work on my Hhr. Otherwise 3/8" ratchet works great, wear gloves just in case it slips and you cut your knuckles up on the inner fender not that I would know lol!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap