GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Is my transmission shot?

From no issues to this: Can drive in first gear. As soon as tranny upshifts to 2nd— loud screeching. Put it in reverse, and basically no movement and a lot of screeching. Can coast in neutral, drive in third. Is my transmission shot, and if so, what is the cheapest way to get it back ion operation? I.E. Used, rebuilds, etc.
    BTW, truck only has 115K miles. Changed transmission fluid and filter at 90K.
    John

2001 Suburban 1500 4WD LSD

I don't know much about your problem but since you have 4WD it might be something to do with the 4WD differential or with clutch packs to engage/disengage the 4WD. I never heard of a tranny screeching before.

The only way I would check it is to get all four wheels off the ground (on very sturdy jack stands), start the engine and pit it in gear, take your foot of the brake while the engine is idling and get out of the truck. Look around and listen. DO NOT GET UNDER THE TRUCK and do not accelerate the engine. Over spinning the wheels can cause more damage and tires coming apart. If you can't do this then it is time to go to a shop and at least ask for a diagnostic, that is if you can get it to one.

Sr. Apprentice

Thanks for that advice. The truck has been in 2 HI all this time. Putting into 4Hi doesn't change the sound. I think I'd prefer clutch pack to transmission?

Jr. Apprentice

I'm not certain, but it sounds like one gearset in the tranny is gone. I think 1st &3rd share one shaft while 2 & 4 share another. Someone will probably correct me though. Luckily our transmissions are common so price is lower than other manufacturers.
    2003 Chevy 1500HD 4x4

Sr. Apprentice

So I am having the transmission rebuilt. Planetary gear was broken.