GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What tranny fluid to replace Dexron III

I have an '02 Suburban 1500 that is supposed to run Dexron III but you can no longer find the stuff in the local parts stores (Autozone/Advance, etc.). They do have Dex VI (which is backwards compatible) but since it is synthetic it runs about double the price of the dino based oils. With a 14 qt capacity of the tranny the cost difference starts to become significant.

They also have multi-purpose Dex/Merc fluid but in the past, I've shied away from these.

I was just wondering what others had been using and how it seems to be performing.

Any thougts?

I run Amsoil in my Silverado SS that is a very Good Replacement for Dexron III ........ I run ib all of the things that I have . here is some info on it for you http://www.thebestoil.com/?gclid=CPC...FQ7GGgodE2v3wQ

Mark

SuperCharged 2006 Silverado SS 2WD

For My Mod List go to my Profile then to MY GARAGE :great:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/album.php?albumid=6

What about "B&M Trick Shift ATF" to replace Dextron III is it worth the extra money?
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

Jr. Apprentice

after reading other in put on the site I would like to run amsoil or redline or royal purple products, but you mentioned the cost factor. And as the trans is not being removed to drain torque converter. I used the valvoline high mileage that said it was compatible with ( replaces) dexron 3/mercon. $ 5.00 quart compared to $10.00 for the synthetics. And used a lot to flush the system with the old tranny line removed thing ( two man& bucket) and an extra 4 quarts to ensure good flush. If i was startin with a new trans I would run the redline D4.
    Just finished up yesterday and she seems to be doing fine, have 80,000 miles on it. Will know more once summer hits and it jumps to 115 degrees out here.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
    I have an '02 Suburban 1500 that is supposed to run Dexron III but you can no longer find the stuff in the local parts stores (Autozone/Advance, etc.). They do have Dex VI (which is backwards compatible) but since it is synthetic it runs about double the price of the dino based oils. With a 14 qt capacity of the tranny the cost difference starts to become significant.

They also have multi-purpose Dex/Merc fluid but in the past, I've shied away from these.

I was just wondering what others had been using and how it seems to be performing.

Any thougts?
    I would use a good synthetic oil like Amsoil, Royal Purple or Redline. The Dextron 6 is overpriced IMO and I don't believe it's a full synthetic oil but I might be wrong. Gust a SWAG.
    B&M Trick Shift Oil should never be used in a street vehicle. It's for racing and has a super high coefficient of friction similar to Type F oil. It will tear up the newer high energy friction materials in today's transmissions. These new type friction materials are designed to slip.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Jr. Engineer

I would use Dexron VI. I read some articles about it when it came out and the stuff sounds pretty impressive.
    99 Silverado Z71 4.8
    2" Suspension lift (Add-a-leafs and leveling keys)
    Long tube headers with 3" offroad Y-Pipe
    Volant Cold Air Intake with Ram Air Intake Tube
    Jet Mass Air Flow Sensor
    Diablosport Predator Tuner

Previous Truck:
    97 Suburban K1500
    3" Body lift
    2" Suspension Lift (Add-a-leafs and cranked up torsion bars)
    35" Yokohama M/T's
    K&N Intake
    Airraid Throttle Body Spacer
    Hypertech Programmer
    Dual Flowmasters