GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default built a headache rack

another project i did over thanksgiving break, didnt completely finish, but almost...

some random welding
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4234 (480x640).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	56614

got the pipe all bent up perfectly even on both sides, i know the garage is a disaster

Name:	IMG_4239 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	56615

looked perfect to me

Name:	IMG_4241 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	56616

i tried incorporating this but lack of a steady way to notch the pipe has delayed this for now

Name:	IMG_4242 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	56617

worked all night on this making it perfect, then woke up the next morning to narrow the angles just a tad, and messed it all up..., had to slap myself alot, accidentally bent the left side just a little too much more than i anticipated, (couldnt unbend it, trust me i tried), but ill just live with it,

Name:	IMG_4249 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	56619
    after welding to 2 foot 3/16" steel for mounts

Name:	IMG_4248 (480x640).jpg 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	56618

just gotta add a piece of steel to the front of the bars to hold it down, ran out of welding wire, then drill holes

Name:	IMG_4250 (480x640).jpg 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	56620
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

well heres the finished project gentlemen and ladies, 3/8 stainless steel mounting hardware for the rack, and mounted the toolbox through the flat bar to the bed, pretty sturdy, im happy with it, i'll add a loop off to the side eventually for a tie down location and maybe add some cross support just in the bottom corners, but its done for now, and my favorite rustoleum bedliner spray never fails me

oh and if your wondering the purpose for me building this, its for functionality and light mounting, i hate all the sideways bars on traditional racks, can hardly see behind you

Name:	IMG_4513 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	57047

Name:	IMG_4516 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	57048

Name:	IMG_4517 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	57049

Name:	IMG_4518 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	57050

Name:	IMG_4519 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	57051

Looks good!!! Hey hurry up your gas can tipped over!!! uhhh too late its empty now
    sometimes it amazes me when working on something like this how long it actually takes to complete it when the finished product looks simple. Even some of the square stock back racks that look easy would take a lot of time.

Good job I like it!!

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    Looks good!!! Hey hurry up your gas can tipped over!!! uhhh too late its empty now
    sometimes it amazes me when working on something like this how long it actually takes to complete it when the finished product looks simple. Even some of the square stock back racks that look easy would take a lot of time.

Good job I like it!!
    lol good thing there is no gas in it, yeah I am my own witness to that testament, just two simple bends for this took alot of trial and error, because when you increase the angle to narrow the stance it also raises the height of the rack and vice versa, but it does truly look so boringly simple like you say, of course even looking at the way i mounted it now, i wouldve done it differently if i could redo it for more strength and simplicity BUT you never get good at things until after you gotten experience, just like my welding is SLOWLY starting to take form practice practice practice, hopefully by the time i start my rear bumper ill be very skilled, thanks!

Jr. Engineer

Nice job! Projects like that are very time consuming! I mess around with stuff like that too! The projects you do, the better you get at them! Trying to do angles is a real pain! Now you can throw some cross-bracing on it, or wire mesh, or braces that go back and down, just be sure you can get the tool box open!