GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Rear Differential

    I have an '08 1500 Silverado. The rear end in leaking oil and I would like to know if using RTV when putting Amsoil in it is a problem.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Jr. Mechanic
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East Central Iowa
    Posts
    88

    Default

    If all your doing is sealing the cover back on there shouldn't be any problem.

  3. #3
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
    I have an '08 1500 Silverado. The rear end in leaking oil and I would like to know if using RTV when putting Amsoil in it is a problem.

    Thanks
    the use of synthetic gear oils with silicone sealers has been reported as a problem. over time it eat at the silicone.


    I use a gasket with permatex form a gasket on all my gaskets. use mineral spirits to clean off all oil.

  4. #4
    Jr. Engineer Cowpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    216

    Default

    You want the ultimate solution... Lube Locker gaskets. Go on dry and reusable. No RTV. No sealer.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

  5. Thanks TRPLXL2 thanked for this post
  6. #5

    Default

    To @DJJ :

    I am assuming that your rear differential cover gasket is leaking. If yes, then simply remove the cover and put on a new gasket. I recommend using the OEM gasket.

    If your truck has the standard GM 10 bolt 8.6" ring gear, the OEM gasket is GM part number 15860607.

    Make sure you clean the gasket mating surface on the differential and cover very well. The OEM gasket has built in rubber sealing rings so it makes a great seal. No silicone or RTV is required.

    Here is one on ebay for $21 shipped:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-15860...5daf57&vxp=mtr

    2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab


    Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

  7. #6
    Legend
    TRPLXL2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    3,368
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    @Cowpie. I checked out those lube locker gaskets, and those are pretty sweet. They are the same price as the factory gasket $21.00, I'm going to have to try one of those. Thanks for the post!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    @Cowpie. I checked out those lube locker gaskets, and those are pretty sweet. They are the same price as the factory gasket $21.00, I'm going to have to try one of those. Thanks for the post!
    When it comes to gaskets, it has been my experience that OEM gaskets work FAR better than aftermarket. The only thing is that OEM gaskets usually come at a price premium. In this case OEM and aftermarket are identical in price, why take a chance?

  9. #8
    Jr. Engineer Cowpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    216

    Default

    No doubt the OEM works fine, but Lube Lockers are the defacto standard among the serious 4x4 crowd. Especially the Jeep crowd. I have used them for years. I have re-used them up to 3 times with no leaks. You have to see one of the Lube Lockers up close and see the quality. I have compared the stock OEM gasket on my 2013 Silverado to the Lube Locker I put on when I changed out the factory fill at around 3000 miles on the odometer. The stock one is good, but I felt a lot more confident with the Lube Locker. As one who has spent a few decades hauling automotive parts for OEM assembly lines, just because it is OEM does not make it the best. Just like the government, they set the specs and take the lowest bid. GM, Dana, or any other OEM is not making their own gaskets. That is a third party source item. Another way to say that is.... the OEM gaskets ARE aftermarket gaskets. These days of auto manufacturing are not the same as they were 40 years ago. Lear makes seats, headliners, and even engine valves for Ford. American Yazaki (a Japanese company in Mexico) makes all the wiring harnesses for GM vehicles, Hayes Lemerz is the primary supplier of auto/pickup OEM wheels in America, and the list goes on and on. A large portion of any vehicle rolling off the assembly line is comprised of third party made parts.
    Last edited by Cowpie; 12-14-2013 at 01:42 AM.

  10. #9
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie View Post
    No doubt the OEM works fine, but Lube Lockers are the defacto standard among the serious 4x4 crowd. Especially the Jeep crowd. I have used them for years. I have re-used them up to 3 times with no leaks. You have to see one of the Lube Lockers up close and see the quality. I have compared the stock OEM gasket on my 2013 Silverado to the Lube Locker I put on when I changed out the factory fill at around 3000 miles on the odometer. The stock one is good, but I felt a lot more confident with the Lube Locker. As one who has spent a few decades hauling automotive parts for OEM assembly lines, just because it is OEM does not make it the best. Just like the government, they set the specs and take the lowest bid. GM, Dana, or any other OEM is not making their own gaskets. That is a third party source item. Another way to say that is.... the OEM gaskets ARE aftermarket gaskets. These days of auto manufacturing are not the same as they were 40 years ago. Lear makes seats, headliners, and even engine valves for Ford. American Yazaki (a Japanese company in Mexico) makes all the wiring harnesses for GM vehicles, Hayes Lemerz is the primary supplier of auto/pickup OEM wheels in America, and the list goes on and on. A large portion of any vehicle rolling off the assembly line is comprised of third party made parts.
    not working these newer gm vehicles why is it this is an issue now ?

    I have never had these leaks with my vehicles and I replace the gear oil with cover removal every time . I also use the same gasket 3X now on the 2000 silverado. I use the felpro gasket its 5.00 usd.

    gm making this DIFF cover of very thin metal ? that would do it .

    I did see that these diff cover gaskets for the 2008 are of metal and rubber composition . must be because of the thin cover or poor carrier housing machining .

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •