GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Under Drive Pulley

I'm looking to add an under drive water pump pulley to my 07 4.3L engine. Can someone give me a source for purchasing one? I haven't had much luck searching the net for one. I already have the crank and alternator pulleys so I don't need a kit.

Can I ask why you wants smaller water pump or alt pulley? The point of the underdrive crank pulley or to reduce parasitic loss, replacing the other with smaleer pulleys would counter act this andjust make it a bitch to find a proper fitting belt
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Jr. Apprentice

Where can I get the crank pulley from. I did a light weight crank pulleyon an 08 Toyota Tacoma Xrunner (I know, a Toyota) and really liked the difference in acceleration the pulley gave the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by clgoch187 View Post
    Can I ask why you wants smaller water pump or alt pulley? The point of the underdrive crank pulley or to reduce parasitic loss, replacing the other with smaleer pulleys would counter act this andjust make it a bitch to find a proper fitting belt
    Many kits include a new belt or tell you what new belt to use.

Just google GM 4.3L underdrive pulley kit. Summit, Jegs, amazon, ebay.. Everyone has them.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post

Just google GM 4.3L underdrive pulley kit. Summit, Jegs, amazon, ebay.. Everyone has them.
    Do the pulleys only come for the 4 3? I have the 5.3.

The only one that I have found for the 5.3L is Jet Performance, Mfr Part#: 90143. I am not saying that it is the only one. Just the one I found with a quick google search

- - - Updated - - -

I guess that this was discussed a few years ago here. People had issues finding them for the 5.3L then.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...-drive-pulleys

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post

For a crank pulley yes. But if you go changing water pump and alternator pulleys your gonna be defeating the crank pulley and ducking up your belt length.
    By going to a smaller pulley on the accessories your actually increasing the Roma of said accessory and adding resistance to the belt that will put more strain on the engine.
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's

On my 1995 5.0L I did the under drive pulleys. I did the alternator and the crank. It came with a new gates belt number, I went to the parts store with that number and bought the belt. It fit fine.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

But what was the benefit of it...you would be back to the stock level of parasitic loss
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    I'm looking to add an under drive water pump pulley to my 07 4.3L engine. Can someone give me a source for purchasing one? I haven't had much luck searching the net for one. I already have the crank and alternator pulleys so I don't need a kit.
    What benefit are you hoping for with an underdriven pulley system? I don't see you getting more than a few horse increase from such a system for a 200HP engine.

Guys that have superchargers will put a small pulley on the supercharger to make it spin faster increasing boost.

IMO, an underdriven pulley setup on a stock 4.3L engine is probably a waste of time.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors