GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road trip to US

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Sounds like a fun trip!

We've driven from New Orleans to Flagstaff AZ maybe 10 times in the last 8 years. We usually go thru Dallas Fort Worth and don't get on I-40 until Amarillo. We have taken the southern route- I-10 also.

It would probably be a bit faster to take I-10 all the way to El Paso and then go N on I-25 to Albuquerque and then take I-40 to Flagstaff AZ.

On I-10 West of San Antonio the speed limit is 80 mph.In the rest of TX the interstate speed limit is 70 mph. The Texans might be a little more exact on this, but I'm pretty sure it is quicker to stay on I-10 all the way to El Paso then Las Cruces.

We have found that the Loves truck stops are pretty good stopping places. Their bathrooms are usually cleaner than other stations and the prices in the little stores- on milk, bread,fruit,soft drinks are usually better than other places. They also have fast food places in them. The clean bathrooms are the main draw of course.

Texas also has very nice rest stops- clean bathrooms etc.

I took one of those Grand Canyon train trips about 10 years ago- lotta fun.We got on at Williams AZ(I think) and it took us to Grand Canyon. The entertainment was a couple of guys playing banjos/drums etc.Fun!

If you go anywhere near The Black Canyon of the Gunnison -in Colorado near Montrose - it is worth a look- pretty impressive. It is maybe 150-200 miles W of I-25. You will take I-25 N to go home or more likely I-15 ? Pretty far off the road, but interesting.

Flagstaff AZ -you'll probably go thru there - has Walnut Canyon just 5 miles E on I-40.You should go right by on the way in to Flagstaff AZ. It is worth a stop-quick on off- if you are interested in Cliff Dwellings etc.

Meteor Crator -about 35 miles E of Flagstaff on I-40 is also very impressive. Tickets are pricy- maybe $12-$15 each- but worth seeing. It is just what it sounds like - a huge meteor crator -4000 feet wide 600 feet deep- 50,000 years old. You will go right by it also

Have fun,
    Charlie.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Jr. Mechanic

my one and only peice of advice: when you start getting into what looks like a desert, remember to top off on gas and water before leaving a civilized area because sometimes there can be long distances between stops with those resources. after that: enjoy the grand canyon! photos and videos do not do it justice, it is much bigger in real life. And feed a freindly squirrel for me even though the signs say not to.

Ditto on the "lunch at the riverwalk" comment. If you have time and the inclination, take the boat tour on the riverwalk also.

On the way out west, Meteor Crater is interesting (Just into Arizona along I40). Grand Canyon is awesome from any angle....not sure I could do 4 days there, but if it is your thing, that'll be great. If you are going west from there, you could drive across Hoover dam and through Vegas. Lots of interesting things as you go up through Utah, and Idaho.

BTW "Due North" is dang near impossible once you get west of the missouri/missippi basin!!!
    Last edited by carlsauction; 08-05-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MWright936 View Post
    Be careful around the Houston area! It's full of stupid, aggressive drivers! I grew up in Katy, on the west side of Houston, so I've had my fill. Too crowded for my taste!

Sounds like you have an awesome road trip planned! I went to the Alamo and the River Walk with my fiancee last year. It's lots of fun and really interesting.

Have fun!
    I drive about 600 - 800 miles a week in mostly heavy city traffic in a 1 ton truck. Trust me I'm used to it.
    But thats also in a place i'm very comfortable with, so thanks for the warning.

I'm needing to make good time, but I still want to see as much as I can. So thanks for the heads-up phoebeisis ,but the route we are hoping to take is a nice compromise. The one you had segested was actually our orginal plan but once I noticed that we were going to be so close to Route 66, I wanted to spend as much time as possiable on the "mother road".

Thanks to everyone for all of the great ideas. We are outdoors people so many of the things that you guys are sugesting are now part of our plan.

And we all know how well a PLAN works on a road trip!!!
    So PLEASE keep the ideas coming!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by crane3447; 08-06-2008 at 12:59 AM.

"I'm not mean... your just a sissy"

Jason
    CURRENT
    '04 silverado 1500 2wd 5.3 (47,000K) - baby
    '97 serria 4x4 2500 454 (121,000K) - beast
    '07 saturn vue V6 (17,000K) - wife's
    '93 ck3500 4x4 6.5 desiel (300+ adding every day)
    - best of all. I don't pay for it!!!

PREVIOUS
    '04 colarado Z71 3.5 (should have been yellow. complete lemon!)
    '91 serria 2500 2wd 454 (sold at 320,000) - tank

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Crane,
    Rest Stop or Rest Area means it has bathrooms; picnic area means no bathrooms. TX Rest Areas/Rest Sops have very clean bathrooms- cleanest I've ever been in. AZ are a notch behind but still good , and NM they are OK- not great , but not terrible either.

I already mentioned that Loves Truck Stops usually have decent rest rooms also- and decent prices on cokes,milk,bread,apples, fast food etc. They frequently have 10% ethanol gasoline- no way around that most places. Gas prices are usually good at the Loves. Try to avoid getting gas in New Mexico in small towns/Cities just off the interstate or R-66.Those placeas have high gas prices. Best bet on gas prices is on either side of a big city.

Gas prices in TX are about $3.78 or so now my Houston buddy tells me. Might be cheaper once you get there.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Crane,
    Rest Stop or Rest Area means it has bathrooms; picnic area means no bathrooms. TX Rest Areas/Rest Sops have very clean bathrooms- cleanest I've ever been in. AZ are a notch behind but still good , and NM they are OK- not great , but not terrible either.

I already mentioned that Loves Truck Stops usually have decent rest rooms also- and decent prices on cokes,milk,bread,apples, fast food etc. They frequently have 10% ethanol gasoline- no way around that most places. Gas prices are usually good at the Loves. Try to avoid getting gas in New Mexico in small towns/Cities just off the interstate or R-66.Those placeas have high gas prices. Best bet on gas prices is on either side of a big city.

Gas prices in TX are about $3.78 or so now my Houston buddy tells me. Might be cheaper once you get there.
    Charlie

$3.78 a gallon for gas. Not bad considering I'm paying about 5.00 a gallon here. Can't thank you enougjh for your help. Ever come up my way, let me know.

"I'm not mean... your just a sissy"

Jason
    CURRENT
    '04 silverado 1500 2wd 5.3 (47,000K) - baby
    '97 serria 4x4 2500 454 (121,000K) - beast
    '07 saturn vue V6 (17,000K) - wife's
    '93 ck3500 4x4 6.5 desiel (300+ adding every day)
    - best of all. I don't pay for it!!!

PREVIOUS
    '04 colarado Z71 3.5 (should have been yellow. complete lemon!)
    '91 serria 2500 2wd 454 (sold at 320,000) - tank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12