GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default what trannys work

Hey guys new to your site. I have a 96 5.7L vortec and i need an auto tranny. Can i use a 700r4 tranny if not what all works???

Legend
    Blog Entries

5.7 has a 12' o clock bell housing, so that rules out the 700r4. You would need a 95-97 4l60e
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    5.7 has a 12' o clock bell housing, so that rules out the 700r4. You would need a 95-97 4l60e
    The bell housing is different between the 700R4 and 4L60E? I thought it was the same case with different internals.

To the OP, the 700R4 is not computer controlled and requires a cable linkage to control line pressure. If you had a 4L60E as your original transmission, (which you should) then you need one to go back in.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Hmmm i thaught i read somewhere that they were the same but you know how the internet is. I thaught as long as my motor isnt newer then 97 and up the trannys will work. Im doing a swap and im not going to have the electronics that the motor originaly had. Thats why i want an older tranny. I like it simple. And it has to be for a 2wd.

Does that mean i also cant use the t350 and 400???

- - - Updated - - -

Ok update....i just talked to the guy i got the motor from and he just put a 72 corvete motor in his truck and it bolted right up to his tranny wotch is a 4L60e 4wd. And it bolted up perfect. Im guessing i read right ....97 and up.are different. 96 and under parts will work.

How do guys bolt up ls motors to 700r4's and th350's in there hot rods?
    Chuckie!!!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Advanced adapters or tci make very pricey adapters for ls swaps. Sorry for the bad info, I was going off of my swap which was wrong I guess.

All good man. :-D now i know that the trannys will work i just need to find one haha.

The knowledge that you removed the electronics and (presumably) the electronic fuel injection for a carb changes the advice a good bit. In that case, a 4L60E would not be what you want. You'd actually want the 2wd 700R4 as you previously said. Theoretically, the 700R4 should bolt right in place of the original 4L60E and not need any transmission crossmember moves or anything.

However, using the 700R4 relies on the TV cable off the throttle linkage and adjustment of that cable is crucial to making sure that the transmission doesn't die very quickly. The TH350 and TH400 don't use a TV cable but also don't have overdrive.

Yes ive heard of a rare 400 that did have overdrive but its harder then finding fat basterds penis :-P

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy billy View Post
    Yes ive heard of a rare 400 that did have overdrive but its harder then finding fat basterds penis :-P
    omg roflmao!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by