GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Exhaust shops

  1. #1
    Master Mechanic BurbanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dolores, CO
    Posts
    796

    Default

    I love messing around with exhaust. Always have. That being said, I've decided to try and open my own muffler shop some day. My question for you guys is this: how did you learn how to bend the pipe? I plan on purchasing a small wire feed welder and pipe bender with taxes to start practicing. I've been told that I can purchase a card catalog type book that lists angles needed. Any help/advice would be appreciated
    Last edited by BurbanMan; 12-10-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    Chuckie!!!


  2. #2

    Default

    just gotta measure, layout where the pipe needs to go in your mind and make it happen. for me its intuition.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

    MODS:

    Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

    Upcoming mods:

    [_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

    Jason

  3. Likes cmcolfax liked this post
  4. #3
    Master Mechanic BurbanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dolores, CO
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69car View Post
    just gotta measure, layout where the pipe needs to go in your mind and make it happen. for me its intuition.
    where does one purchase pipe from?
    Chuckie!!!


  5. #4

    Default

    depends how much you need and what size. home depot, luckily though, I have a sheet metal show down the road from me. you could probably order it from home depot.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

    MODS:

    Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

    Upcoming mods:

    [_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

    Jason

  6. #5

    Default

    even some of the cheaper exhaust shops i see down here, all have those pipe end "flaring" machines, and automated pipe benders. but they are expensive as heck, but im sure if you get enough business going those expensive machines will pay for themselves
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

    Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

    Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)


    Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

    Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

  7. #6
    Master Mechanic BurbanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dolores, CO
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    even some of the cheaper exhaust shops i see down here, all have those pipe end "flaring" machines, and automated pipe benders. but they are expensive as heck, but im sure if you get enough business going those expensive machines will pay for themselves
    yeah. It's definitely not going to be an inexpensive commitment.
    Chuckie!!!


  8. #7
    Legend
    TRPLXL2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    3,359
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Summit racing and jegs sell exhaust pipe cheap, I paid $14.00 for a 4 foot length of 3" aluminized exhaust pipe. They sell stainless as well, if your feeling adventurous.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

  9. Likes cmcolfax liked this post
  10. #8
    Master Mechanic BurbanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dolores, CO
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    Summit racing and jegs sell exhaust pipe cheap, I paid $14.00 for a 4 foot length of 3" aluminized exhaust pipe. They sell stainless as well, if your feeling adventurous.
    ah ok. I'll give them a call and check out bulk pricing
    Chuckie!!!


  11. #9

    Default

    I normally bend a piece of welding rod by hand into the general shape Im looking for and use it as my pattern.
    Look up wholesale metal suppliers for pipe, I use a national supplier named "Metal Market" for pipe stock.
    Plan of wasting a bit of pipe until you get the feel for pipe bending.
    A gas welder can be useful at times for heating pipe to produce some of the trickier bends.
    Also sand packed into a pipe with caps on the ends helps to stop from crimping or collapsing pipe while bending.

  12. Likes cmcolfax liked this post
  13. #10
    Master Mechanic BurbanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dolores, CO
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I normally bend a piece of welding rod by hand into the general shape Im looking for and use it as my pattern. Look up wholesale metal suppliers for pipe, I use a national supplier named "Metal Market" for pipe stock. Plan of wasting a bit of pipe until you get the feel for pipe bending. A gas welder can be useful at times for heating pipe to produce some of the trickier bends. Also sand packed into a pipe with caps on the ends helps to stop from crimping or collapsing pipe while bending.
    that's all great advice! Thanks a ton tb! I really appreciate all you guys chiming in to help me on my way! Thank you just doesn't cover it! 8)
    Chuckie!!!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •