GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Nooooo, my streak is over!!! (CEL)

Original owner, 13 years, 175,000 miles and I have never had my CEL come on...until today.

I didn't feel, see, hear or smell anything odd so I have no idea what it could be.

Fortunately, my dad has a code reader and I am having dinner with him tomorrow so I'll find out what it is tomorrow night.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

There goes Christmas, haha
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

3. Likes reggiecab2000 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    Original owner, 13 years, 175,000 miles and I have never had my CEL come on...until today.

I didn't feel, see, hear or smell anything odd so I have no idea what it could be.

Fortunately, my dad has a code reader and I am having dinner with him tomorrow so I'll find out what it is tomorrow night.
    WOW.....That Is Amazing!!!.....it shows that you have taken Excellent Care of your truck..........regarding the CEL, is it Flashing or On Steady.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend

ya forget Christmas fun now . maybe santa will give you a free fix.

probably a p0300 false code.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I'm going to go with a p400-p422, emissions based fault
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Yea, I am going with a Po4?? hopefully just a gas cap issue.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I just checked my codes. The light is on steady. I am getting:

P0171 System too lean (Bank 1)
    P0174 System too lean (Bank 2)

I believe this is fuel/air mix correct? "Too lean" meaning too much air, not enough fuel for the amount of air coming in, yes/no?

I just checked my codes. The light is on steady. I am getting:

P0171 System too lean (Bank 1)
    P0174 System too lean (Bank 2)

I believe this is fuel/air mix correct? "Too lean" meaning too much air, not enough fuel for the amount of air coming in, yes/no?
    McClintoc.....correct regarding the Amount of Air "Too Much" the Sensor's provide a reading of the Air:Fuel Ratio leaving the Engine's Cylinders, and the Vehicles Power-Train/Engine Control Module (PCM/ECM) uses that reading and adjusts to keep the Engine Running at that Optimum Ratio of 14.7:1. If something is not right and the PCM cannot maintain that ratio, but rather there is Too Much Air, it Triggers these Codes.

***These Codes Basically mean that the Oxygen Sensor on Bank 1 and Oxygen Sensor on Bank 2 has detected a Lean Condition "Too much Oxygen in the Exhaust"....On V-8 Engines, Bank 1 is on the Driver-Side of the Engine that has Cylinder #1 and Bank 2 is on the Passenger-Side of the Engine,

***Here are some of the Items to Check,
    Check All Vacuum and PCV Hoses, Replace and/or Repair if needed
    Check for Leak Downstream of the MAF Sensor.
    Clean MAF Sensor
    Check for a Failed or Faulty Oxygen Sensor

10. Thanks McClintoc thanked for this post

I have never cleaned my MAF sensor and my O2 sensors are originaly. I figure cleaning my MAF and replacing my O2 sensors is a good place to start.

What the best way to clean a MAF?

On a side note, I did not clear the CEL but it was off this morning...

I have never cleaned my MAF sensor and my O2 sensors are originaly. I figure cleaning my MAF and replacing my O2 sensors is a good place to start.

What the best way to clean a MAF?

On a side note, I did not clear the CEL but it was off this morning...

I would start with cleaning the MAF Sensor, and then check for Vacuum Leaks, as doing these 2-items will cost you very little, and may correct the problem, and for cleaning you want to use Only....CRC's MAF Sensor(Pictured below)and the Video shows how to Clean a MAF Sensor....

13. Thanks McClintoc thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by