GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newby with 2004 Sub Z71 AWD

Howdy!

Newby here. Jim Irwin age 68, in suburban Austin, Texas. Cedar Park, exactly.

Just got a very nice 2004 Sub Z71 AWD. Had it inspected. It's missing at least one skid plate (under front differential). Where can I see a diagram/schematic showing what other skid plate(s) ought to be present?

Also....I'm interested in tuning it for best gas mileage and better performance.
    Yes, both! Wonder what's possible & where to get it?

Thanks!

Jim

Welcome to the club.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Welcome to the Club from VA!

Skid plates can be found on the NBS (not NNBS) avalanches, and silverado's. I would contact your local scrap yards to see if you can find some.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

NBS? What's this?

Thanks

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69car View Post

Skid plates can be found on the NBS (not NNBS) avalanches, and silverado's. I would contact your local scrap yards to see if you can find some.

Quote Originally Posted by jimirwin View Post
    NBS? What's this?

Thanks

Jim
    NBS is New body style, sorry, NNBS is new new body style (current one)

MODS:

55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jimirwin View Post
    Howdy!

Newby here. Jim Irwin age 68, in suburban Austin, Texas. Cedar Park, exactly.

Just got a very nice 2004 Sub Z71 AWD. Had it inspected. It's missing at least one skid plate (under front differential). Where can I see a diagram/schematic showing what other skid plate(s) ought to be present?

Also....I'm interested in tuning it for best gas mileage and better performance.
    Yes, both! Wonder what's possible & where to get it?

Thanks!

Jim

Jim....
    ......To the Site, the below diagram is for a 04" Suburban, hopefully it shows you what part your looking for.....if your local salvage doesn't have a Skid Plate, try your Local Craigs List, and last take a look at E-Bay, as there are a couple of site's that sell the Skid Plates your asking about.....

Jim....regarding...."best gas mileage and better performance".....a couple of Tune Company's to take a look at, would be Black Bear Tunes and Diablo Tunes, both of them are Sponsoring Vendor's here on the Site,

Black Bear,
    http://www.blackbearperformance.com/faqs.asp

Diablo Tunes,
    http://www.diablosport.com/product-search.html

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 12-11-2013 at 06:58 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

welcome to gmtc. Not all of the suburbans came with all of the skid plates. it was an added option. Personally, I would go with the diablew tune. You then have a scan tool, can revert back to factory programming at any time for diagnostic purposes, and can monitor many things while you drive.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Welcome to the site...
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

MODS:

Upcoming mods:

Jason

OK I found and bought used oil pan skid plate. Doesn't have the rear fasteners (bolts?). Do have the two vibration dampers(?), but no fasteners. Please advise what to look for. Drawings don't show what I need. Dealer says they're only available with the skid plate. Don't need to buy a new one to get two bolts & sure don't need two skid plates! Anyone got a drawing, picture, or other info about what's at the rear?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast