GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Brake line help

Default Brake line help

2002 silverado.Pass side brake line has a hole in it.Really rusted at fittings.Neen tips for getting them off besides what i'm planning.I plan on brushing with wire brush,hit with PB blaster,repeat,then use small pocket torch to heat up.I wonder if standard wrenchs will have enough grab on the rusted fittings.Also off hand , are the fittings metric?

if your going to be replacing everything anyway, vice grips, Penetrating lube (assuming thats what PB blaster is) as far as the heat goes, thats a no no. unless you'd like to light yourself on fire. brake fluid is flammable.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

you might want to pick up a set of line wrenches. chances are that you will round them off with regular wrenches

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I'd heard just a little heat,not after fluid comes out,but may re think that.I worry that even line wrenches will still strip.Guess it's vise grips.

Quote Originally Posted by pmd73 View Post
    I'd heard just a little heat,not after fluid comes out,but may re think that.I worry that even line wrenches will still strip.Guess it's vise grips.
    I have heated them before. Not a lot of heat. It is flammable. Not like gas though, you can blow it out pretty easily

Standard or metric,don't wnat to buy two sets.

Metric I believe. Don't quote me though.

Legend

2002 silverado.Pass side brake line has a hole in it.Really rusted at fittings.Neen tips for getting them off besides what i'm planning.I plan on brushing with wire brush,hit with PB blaster,repeat,then use small pocket torch to heat up.I wonder if standard wrenchs will have enough grab on the rusted fittings.Also off hand , are the fittings metric?
    with the replacing of these steel lines using a tubing cutter not a saw you cut the line then with a 6 point socket you remove the fitting. then with the what they call double flare GM tool you put flares on the new tubing end and attach the new line. fittings are available , or use the old fitting.

do not use any mineral oils rust buster type products as this will get in the lines and damage the brake components. brake fluid must not get any of these mineral oils in it or the rubber parts will swell and your brakes will fail.

clean all parts with denatured alcohol. I believe that the gm angle is 37 deg to flare the tubing to fit correctly on the braking components caliper/abs etc....

the other angle is 45 deg which is an SAE type. these fittings are easy to get and are used to connect lines together ...
    Last edited by j cat; 12-11-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Got under truck and looked at lines.The problem is where the lines go into the block,the pass side line is top middle line.No room for a wrench.The only option I see is cut the line and put a socket on it but with the fitting being so rusted,i'm sure it won't come out easy,and will surely strip,then what do you do.Any suggestions.

Legend

Got under truck and looked at lines.The problem is where the lines go into the block,the pass side line is top middle line.No room for a wrench.The only option I see is cut the line and put a socket on it but with the fitting being so rusted,i'm sure it won't come out easy,and will surely strip,then what do you do.Any suggestions.
    try to use the socket 6 pt on it . not too much force that you break it.

then if still no go get a small propane torch tip and heat up the fitting slightly so it is hot but not red then quickly place the socket on the fitting and using a constant force as the fitting cools/shrinks it should come out.

it may be best to crimp the line cut end to prevent fluid from coming out if that is an issue.

place flame tip at the fitting only as best you can not too much flame.