GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default General rant / 2014 Z71 skid plate

Just a general quick complaint...I forgot to post up after doing my RC 2.5" level. I noticed on my 2014, my skid plate is plastic!!? My buddy who helped has a 2011 Z71 and after looking at his, his is metal. What the heck? Was this another cost savings to make skid plates out of plastic? Oh well, that was just a quick gripe...
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 | 2.5" level/lift | 275/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

They've used a plastic material for awhile. My '05 Envoy had one, my '09 Avalanche has one.

It's pretty tough, I think it will take a lot thumps.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

It likely saved weight to help increase MPGs while being cheaper to make.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Thanks for the replies... I did a quick google search...and in fact they have been plastic for quite a few years. And I feel alot better after reading, apparently even Jeep has used plastic skid plates on their Wranglers. Whew! I was getting nervous there...

I asked for mine that was suppose to be on my 2011 that was aluminum I think but apparently when the 6" lift was put on it has to be removed. Rocky Ridge must have a ton of them there or someone is selling them somewhere. I would like to fab one up to go back on with the lift.. My sticker shows I paid for it(z-71 package) I would think I am entitled to it.. How about buying a brand new truck like I did with the Rocky Ridge package and get a spare tire that wont work...17" spare stock tire = useless.
    My 2003 Escalade had a plastic one on it.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Also you gotta remember that 90% of those customers will NEVER go off road enough to even scratch the bottom of the trucks SO GM going cheap and saving weight is what they do.. I had one on my 88 S-10 blazer Even though I lifted it (2 1/2 Sup 3in Body) I was 4 wheeling it in some sand pits and came down hard on a mound and Ripped it a bit..(Also bent the frame)
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    I asked for mine that was suppose to be on my 2011 that was aluminum I think but apparently when the 6" lift was put on it has to be removed. Rocky Ridge must have a ton of them there or someone is selling them somewhere. I would like to fab one up to go back on with the lift.. My sticker shows I paid for it(z-71 package) I would think I am entitled to it.. How about buying a brand new truck like I did with the Rocky Ridge package and get a spare tire that wont work...17" spare stock tire = useless. My 2003 Escalade had a plastic one on it.
    Id be beyond livid. That's something I look for when buying a vehicle. If the spare isn't right, that's a red flag that something else isn't going to be right
    Chuckie!!!

my truck has all aluminum skid plates.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers