GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Tailgate won't latch all the time.

I was told to lube springs were hooks are and in latch handle. What lube should I use? WD-40, grease, or something else? Also, Do I need to take the 3 bolts off from the inside side of the bed? Or, do I just lift handle and spray?

Thanks for any input!

MC

I suggest lithium grease..it should repel the water better than any other and stay on longer than the rest.

I am having the same problem with my 99 GMC 2500. I was told to replace both latches and hooks but I was waiting to do my own research. Did the lube help your tailgate problems?

My 04 did the same thing. Just spray some wd40 in there and it'll fix it. I didnt even remove the handle...just sprayed a bunch in there since it was sticking.
    08 Z71 Victory Red Crew Cab
    Ground Force 2" drop in rear, 22" wheels, Toyo ST Rubber, K&N Intake, Magnaflow Duals, Bully Dog Prog., Weathertech Floormats, Grillcraft Grill, Undercover Sing Case, Viair Compressor, Wolo Horns, Hellwig F&R Sway Bars, Plasmaglow LED's, PEAK backup camera, Husky Mudflaps....lots more in the works.

White lithium grease should do a better job then WD-40. It lasts a longer time, i just suggest cleaning the parts.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyl9
    I suggest lithium grease..it should repel the water better than any other and stay on longer than the rest.
    Wow, i just read your post, i was an extreme echo.
    Last edited by ippielb; 02-06-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Just read the other guys post

I use lithium grease myself. Hope it works for you.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

had the same problem when i got my new truck, kept putting it off until i was making a left turn and stomped on the gas, sending everything in the bed into the street. thought it was the latches, tried lubing them and it did't work. i took the tailgate handle bezel off and pulled the handle and noticed the arms opened and didn't go back. i ened up removing the mechanism. to do this you need to removel the handle bezel, use a prying tool that won't chip your paint, a screwdriver with electrical tape on it worked for me. then you have to disconnect the latch rods. there are two plastic retaining clips that hold them into the arm, unlatch these and rotate them 90 degrees. you should be able to pull the rods out of the arms, the retainig clips stay in the arms. unbolt the handle from inside to tailgate, remove the handle. i used carb cleaner and marine grease, just because i think the grease holds up water a little better than lithium, i might be wrong though. reinstall in reverse order.
    bd1326

2005 Chevy Silverado 6.0 Vortec 4X4
    K&N Air Filter: Stock Replacement
    E3 Spark Plugs
    Magnaflow Single Exit Exhaust
    Rough Country Leveling Kit
    Skyjacker Add-a-Leaf
    Much More To Come

"Understeer is hitting the wall with the front of your car. Oversteer is hitting it with the rear."
    - NASCAR driver "Fireball" Roberts.

It takes me a few slams of the the tailgate to get it to stay closed. I have had it fall open going down the road a few times. Looks like I'm going to have to take it a part and lube the latch.
    Robert
    2000 Chevy Silverado LS Ext. Cab 5.3 2wd.
    -ChromeIntakes CAI
    -Single Inlet/Duel Outlet Flowmaster 2.25" Pass. Side Exit
    -20% Tint on Front Doors
    1997 Suzuki TL1000S
    2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1
    1997 Honda CBR600F3
    1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ SECA

Plumbers and Pipefitters Kansas L.U. 441
    5th. Yr. Apprentice