GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Amazon Prime Air Drones Anyone?

How cool would it be to order car parts with Amazon prime air dones?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I read the article when it was posted on line. Thought it was neat. The 5lb limit would make car parts limited but having them a couple hours after you placed the order would be great.
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

HHmmm I say PULL!!! Bang!!! There goes another one.... Not sure how well it would work in the busy areas.. like NYC...Just read in todays paper about 1200 small planes landing here for the Superbowl .....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I think it will be great for remote areas or places that it takes sometimes up to a hour to drive to a decent store to get something simple like a socket. Where our house in Vermont is a service like that would be great.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

It's a neat idea for sure but I am thinking the cons outweigh the pros on this one:

Pros:
    very quick delivery

Cons:
    only works on a few small/light-weight items
    probably going to cost an arm and a leg (at least in the beginning)
    how reliable will it be? drones getting lost, delivering to the wrong address, putting your item in the middle of the street, etc
    again, in the beginning, it will only be available to a few markets - Amazon will need to build more warehouses across the country to reach more people
    Will people screw around and shoot down the drones for fun? probably not but who really knows?
    Is the FAA OK with this? lol
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    It's a neat idea for sure but I am thinking the cons outweigh the pros on this one:

Pros:
    very quick delivery

Cons:
    only works on a few small/light-weight items
    probably going to cost an arm and a leg (at least in the beginning)
    how reliable will it be? drones getting lost, delivering to the wrong address, putting your item in the middle of the street, etc
    again, in the beginning, it will only be available to a few markets - Amazon will need to build more warehouses across the country to reach more people
    Will people screw around and shoot down the drones for fun? probably not but who really knows?
    Is the FAA OK with this? lol
    I think another pro would be additional employment because people need to maintain and operate those drone as well as additional warehouses = more employees to run them.

I saw an article about this. They said that the FAA has some major laws against this. If it is in line of sight of the operator then it is considered a model air craft and no license is needed. once it leaves line of sight a special license is required. (not like amazon could not get them) But, they are also having issues with the proximity sensors (so they don't crash into trees and other objects). The sensors are not sensitive enough and do not react quickly. So, by the time the drone knows something is there it is too late. They also said that since GPS is not always reliable they are having issues during testing with the drones ending up 2 or 3 houses away from the intended target. Also, there is major concern with people shooting them down.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)