GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default No drive in 2H or 4H - Transfer Case Problem?

Hi,

Had a loud clunk while driving down the highway in my 1993 GMC Sierra in 2wd, and lost all drive. Can still feel the tranny shifting in and out of gear, but there's no drive to the wheels - except in 4L, which seems to work fine (albeit with some whirring!)

I'm suspecting transfer case, can anyone confirm this before I pull it? Linkage seems to be fine with a positive shift, although it does sometimes take some grinding and effort to get it into 4H and 2H. No visual signs of leaking fluid.

Thanks in advance!

I'm far from a 4wd expert, but I hope someone can help you out. Hopefully I'll learn something new as well.
    Chuckie!!!

it seems to me that if it were the trans it would not move at all whether you were in 4lo, hi, or 2wd. It sounds like a tcase issue. if you put it in park with the tcase in 2wd or 4hi can you lift the rear wheels and spin the drive shaft by hand? (like it is not in park)

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

It has been a long time, but that sounds exactly like what happened to mine when my t-case went bad. If it was the tranny it wouldn't matter if you were in 4 high or low. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    if you put it in park with the tcase in 2wd or 4hi can you lift the rear wheels and spin the drive shaft by hand? (like it is not in park)
    When I broke down on the highway, the truck would not hold itself on the hill in park while in 2H or 4H (which was a pita as a previous owner cut the e-brake cables!!)

I finally just got round the dropping the transfer case fluid - but it's come out nice and clean with no metal debris in there at all. Should I take the risk and purchase a replacement transfer case, or could the problem possibly be something else?

Thanks for the replies!

Get the truck up on jack stands, all 4 corners.

Start the truck and place the transmission in NEUTRAL and the t-case in 4WD. Turn off the truck.

If the t-case is good, turning the rear driveshaft (by hand) should turn one rear wheel, the front driveshaft and one front wheel.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I have a rebuilt t case that was for my 88 with floor shift. Dunno where ya live but it was done 2 years ago and put on a shelf in my garage.

Cheers for the offer, but I live in Whistler near Vancouver so guess that's a bit far from WNY!

I'll get hold of some extra axle stands asap and give that a go, cheers.

Hey, Whistler is a great place, if ya need some help a lot of Canadian guys will probably come by if there's an invite, haha
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

A guy I work with had this problem with his dodge. Turns put the trans case shifter fork was wollered out inside the t case. Rebuilt the trans case and works good as new
    Chuckie!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast