GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm not fussed about having a different gear ratio, or do you say that because other gear ratios won't physically fit?

My rear end has 6-bolt hubs and a 10-bolt diff cover - I assume that a Chevy 1500 rear end will fit? What years am I looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by fishnchipsx2 View Post
    I'm not fussed about having a different gear ratio, or do you say that because other gear ratios won't physically fit?

My rear end has 6-bolt hubs and a 10-bolt diff cover - I assume that a Chevy 1500 rear end will fit? What years am I looking at?
    You will have some major issues if you put it in 4x4 with a different ratio in the front and rear. Major like destroy the t-case or the front diff. You need to find out what ratio you have and match it. No, not any chevy 1500 rear end will fit, there are different ratios out there. 3.42, 3.73, 4.10, to name a few. Chances are it is a 3.73 or 3.42 but, you Have to find out before buying something.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Good point! Is there an easy way to identify the ratio without counting turns?

The rpo codes on the inside of the glovebox door will tell you. I think these are the available codes for that year

GU2 = 2.73 Ratio
    GU4 = 3.08 Ratio
    GU5 = 3.23 Ratio
    GU6 = 3.42 Ratio
    GT4 = 3.73 Ratio
    GT5 = 4.10 Ratio

here is another list. It is pretty long
    http://www.sierragear.com/gm-rpo-axl...ation-codes-3/

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

5. Likes RayVoy liked this post

After you get her up and going again you might want to check out your front actuator. seems to me those were a problem GM had. gas sometimes took a long time to heat and fully expand enough to fully lock the axles especially as they got older. i saw one that wouldn't work in the snow. i think GM upgraded them after a few years. thanks for the update and keep us posted!

- - - Updated - - -

forgot, if you are not the original owner since you have the cover off, count the teeth on the ring gear and divide by the number of teeth on the pinion gear. this will tell you for sure what you have in it now. example, 41 teeth on ring gear 9 teeth on pinon. 41 divided by 9= 4.555 so the ratio is 4.56

Quote Originally Posted by edsmagichands View Post
    gas sometimes took a long time to heat and fully expand enough to fully lock the axles
    ??????????

GM used hand operated hubs, then they went to vacuum operated "motors" and now they use electrically operated "motors".
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    ??????????

GM used hand operated hubs, then they went to vacuum operated "motors" and now they use electrically operated "motors".
    Why the snipes? If I stepped on someones toes it was unintentional.
    First I would like to say I do not know or question the extent of your experience and or knowledge RayVoy. time will tell me that. as far as myself is concerned, let's just say i can more than hold my own. i can, and have been wrong before. however i try to never state as fact something i do not know positively IS. before i call some one wrong I RESEARCH & MAKE SURE!! my previous post is A FACT!! if you don't have access to MOD, All DATA or other quality tech manuals simply google it. for fishnchipsx2 here it is. if you want your 4X4 reliable, check it out.GM TSB # 76-43-01a
    SLOW OR NO ENGAGEMENT OF FRT. AXLE WHEN 4WD IS SELECTED #76-43-01A - (Sep 18, 1998)
    REVISION: 09/17/98 DIVS INVL 1 5 7

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO ADD INFORMATION TO THE SERVICE PROCEDURE, ADD A NEW PART NUMBER, AND INCLUDE SCHEMATICS. PLEASE DISCARD CORPORATE BULLETIN NUMBER 76-43-01 (SECTION 4 - DRIVE AXLE). __________________________________________________ ____________________

SUBJECT: SLOW OR NO ENGAGEMENT OF FRONT AXLE WHEN 4WD IS SELECTED (REPLACE FRONT AXLE ACTUATOR)

MODELS: 1988-97 CHEVROLET AND GMC K MODELS EXCLUDING 1988-93 MODELS OVER 8500# GVW

CONDITION:

SOME OWNERS MAY COMMENT THAT THE COLDER THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE IS, THE LONGER IT TAKES FOR THE FRONT AXLE TO ENGAGE WHEN 4 WHEEL DRIVE IS SELECTED, OR THE FRONT AXLE DOES NOT ENGAGE.

CAUSE:

THE FRONT AXLE ENGAGEMENT ACTUATOR IS A THERMALLY ACTIVATED COMPONENT. BECAUSE OF THIS CHARACTERISTIC, THE TIME REQUIRED FOR THE ACTUATOR TO COMPLETE 4 WHEEL DRIVE ENGAGEMENT IS EXTENDED AS THE TEMPERATURE DROPS.

CORRECTION:

REPLACE THE FRONT AXLE ACTUATOR AND INCLUDE THE APPLICABLE WIRING HARNESS KIT. REFER TO THE PARTS INFORMATION IN ORDER TO DETERMINE WHICH WIRING HARNESS KIT IS NEEDED.

1996 MODEL TRUCKS WITH A BUILD DATE ON OR AFTER JANUARY 2, 1996 ARE CONSIDERED AS "96I". IF THE BUILD DATE OF THE TRUCK IS UNKNOWN, VERIFY THE 3 CHARACTER "AXLE CODE" ON THE FRONT AXLE LABEL IN ORDER TO DETERMINE WHICH WIRE HARNESS TO ORDER.

THIS NEW ACTUATOR USES A MOTOR TO ENGAGE THE FRONT AXLE AND IS NOT AFFECTED BY TEMPERATURE. ON 1988-93 MODELS WITH A GVW RATING OVER 8500#, THE NEW ACTUATOR CANNOT BE INSTALLED AND THE THERMAL ACTUATOR WILL REMAIN THE SERVICE PART.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot, i think in that year range they used the vacuum controlled actuators on the S10's, blazers etc.

The few that I have removed and cut apart had a wax inside that heated up and pushed the rod out. From what I understand GM switched to the gas filled units to replace the wax units because the wax units were having the issues in the cold. I guess that you could consider it an electric motor, as the thermally activation is because of current running thru a heating element to heat the wax.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

That's interesting. i never cut one apart, just replaced them with the upgraded unit. now i'm curious!

Quote Originally Posted by edsmagichands View Post
    That's interesting. i never cut one apart, just replaced them with the upgraded unit. now i'm curious!
    yea, GM actually called it a "wax Pellet" inside.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast