GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cb mount location

I have a new 08 Silverado and I'm looking for a CB mount location and a way to run my antenna cable ans where to mount the antenna. I have a Midland classic radio so it's not those tiny ones and I don't have an atenna yet. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I'm in the same process of setting up CB. For the antenna, I'm going with a roof mount Wilson 5000 and intend on drilling through the roof for a permanent mount. There's magnetic mounts too if you don't want to drill, Wilson makes one, there's also the K40. These are the two that came most highly recommended to me by experienced CB'ers.

Typically, for best range in all directions, you want to put the antenna in the direct center of of the roof. +/- a little shouldn't effect it too much.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

I'm assuming you have much the same interior I do in my 2002 Suburban, which I am also prepping for a CB radio. I plan on putting the radio inside the console, and piping the microphone to the outside. I too run a full-size CB.
    Carpe Femme!

Quote Originally Posted by Red_October View Post
    I'm assuming you have much the same interior I do in my 2002 Suburban, which I am also prepping for a CB radio. I plan on putting the radio inside the console, and piping the microphone to the outside. I too run a full-size CB.
    I'm new to the CB world, this is my first one. What do you mean by "piping the microphone to the outside"?
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Quote Originally Posted by ct9a View Post
    I'm new to the CB world, this is my first one. What do you mean by "piping the microphone to the outside"?
    I work at Radio Shack... we have all the mic. connectors and so forth, to make a microphone plug inside the console and a jack outside, so you plug the mic. into the dash and the radio lives inside the console. Mount a comms speaker someplace and you're golden.
    Carpe Femme!

Ok, gotcha. I thought you were trying to put the mic outside the cab
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Quote Originally Posted by ct9a View Post
    ...and intend on drilling through the roof for a permanent mount.
    Yikes, pondering drilling a roof hole in a late model truck makes the hair on the back of my neck stand out. You're looking for a central location to take full advantage of the truck's sheet metal as an omnidirectional ground plane. Try a location at the rear edge center of the roof (closer to the center of the entire truck) and you can get a SWR below 2:1 on all channels without mutilating your sheet metal.
    How about a bed bar with lights and an antenna mount?

Yeah, I know it's an ugly truck and there's no antenna in this pic, use your imagination.
    Are we having fun, yet?

Thanks for the suggestion! I was talking to a friend at work and he suggested I just build a box to mount the radio and speaker and put it on the floor on the hump. I l;ike this idea but don't know about the antenna mount or style yet. I have 200 miles on the truck right now and bring myself to drill into the metal. I remember seeing glass mount (cell phone I think) antenna's and was wondering if anyone knows about these. Also can someone show pics?
    Gary

LOL, I wasn't trying to suggest that you drill a hole in your new truck, that's just what I'm doing on my 'burb. Magnetic mounts would work best from what I've been told if you don't want to drill. Again, Wilson and the K40 antennas were recommended to me as the best.

I have no first hand experience with these things, as I mentioned, I'm new to this so all my information is based on second hand advice from others. If you want a box to mount on the hump (I'm going this route myself), then you may want to look at this one from Copper http://www.copper.com/cart/product_i...roducts_id=552 I'm thinking of getting either this one or a bracket that's made for the hump and a separate external speaker off of ebay.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

In my '01 chevy 1500 i'm gonna try to remove the factory tape player and replace it with a small cb. Idk if it will work but i sure hope it will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast