GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 4x4 not working

Angry 4x4 not working

hi guys I own a 1995 chevy suburban the problem that im having is the 4x4 is not working. I change the vac switch the one on the top of the transfer case and the thermo switch on the front axle. still it doesn't work. not even the light on the floor the one that light up when is in 4x4 mode. the suburban has 200xxx and the trans does not shift right.is a 4l60e. it goes in to 1 gear but you have to let go of the gas for it to shift to 3rd.on the highway it shift fine from 3rd to 4th plus over drive when you hit the gas. does any body have any idea what can be wrong with the 4x4???????????

I would pull the actuator back out of the front axle. engage the 4x4 and see if the actuator is moving. we need to first figure out if the actuator is moving/getting a signal. Also check fuse #24 in the fuse box.
    Last edited by Pikey; 12-13-2013 at 01:49 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by aloneandhappy View Post
    not even the light on the floor the one that light up when is in 4x4 mode.
    The light on the floor? Does that mean you have a floor mounted 4x4 shifter?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

yes my shift is on the floor

- - - Updated - - -

fuse 24 is good I try to take out actuator tomorrow to see what happens . how can I test to see if there is power ???

If the actuator is out of the axle and you engage the 4X4, the actuator should extend. If it doesn't, change it.
    I like all dogs I meet, and some people too.

My 96 did the same thing. I changed the actuator and it lights up and works fine now.

is new actuator and the vac switch on top of the transfer case