GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You could get a oil filter gasket assortment from Autozone. All the gaskets are for oil and it has assorted gaskets. Here's the link: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...35_52103_2826_

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Actually all rubber and plastic are petrolium based products, mixed with raw materials such as plastisizers and carbon black in the case of o rings and tires,the amount of plastisizer determines the density , which gives you hard plastic or soft rubber qualities. Various additives determine the specific application, most have deformed some types of rubber with fluids like brake fluid for example, it will cause some rubber compounds to swell,in your application of a dip stik o ring , a standard o ring will be fine from an auto supply store, speaking of brake fluid, next time you have an extra bag of pool shock on hand, make a volcano shape in a standard pie pan, add a quarter cup of brake fluid inside the volcano and back up a few feet, poof, flame on. never do this indoors. lol
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Haha, got to try that, the pool shock is an oxidizer, providing additional oxygen much like NOS when used in your engine.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Yes, o-rings are rubber. But certain types of rubber for certain applications. If you put a regular rubber o-ring on a power steering line then you would have issues. First, they may not be able to hold their shape under the pressure. Second, the fluid will eat them. Same with o-rings for fuel injectors, use a standard bathroom o-ring and you are screwed. Most of the specialty o-rings are made of nitrile or viton. I worked with o-rings for years at my old job. there is material differences: Neoprene, urethane, silicon, fluorosilicone, just to name a few. everything reacts differently yo gas, oil, diesel fuel. So, a general statement that they are just rubber is terribly inaccurate
    Except the OP wasn't about fuel, power steering or pressurized sealing. It was about a dipstick tube. Stop over thinking things.
    I like all dogs I meet, and some people too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardrail View Post
    Except the OP wasn't about fuel, power steering or pressurized sealing. It was about a dipstick tube. Stop over thinking things.
    I was not over thinking things. you made a general, inaccurate statement about o-rings just being rubber and implied that all o-rings are the same. I wanted to be sure that others did not think that to be true and just throw some random o-ring on a fuel injector or PS pump, because "o-rings are rubber". Someone searches on google, ends up here, reads the post that says that o-rings are rubber, (implying that they are all the same) puts a hardware store replacement oring on something and it fails. I find, in general, a lot of problems are caused by "under thinking". The only place I could find the orings for my power steering lines was from the dealer @ $8 each. It took me a few days of searching around but I found the size listing on a dealer site and the material listing on another site (viton) I ordered a bag of them from my former workplace. $1 for a bag of 60. If I used just a rubber oring it would have failed being in contact with the fluid and the pressure present.
    Last edited by Pikey; 12-18-2013 at 10:48 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Nah, you read too much into it. I responded to another post saying a rubber o ring will break down with oil by responding that an o ring (the kind the OP needs) are just rubber. I know you like to spout all kind of facts to make yourself sound knowledgeable, but its not needed. Someone searching Google will be smart enough to read the entire post to get the context.

Nah, you read too much into it. I responded to another post saying a rubber o ring will break down with oil by responding that an o ring (the kind the OP needs) are just rubber. I know you like to spout all kind of facts to make yourself sound knowledgeable, but its not needed. Someone searching Google will be smart enough to read the entire post to get the context.
    lol! Facts are knowledge and exactly that, facts. not uninformed assumptions. You give people too much credit if you you think that people can weed thru things like that. That is why there are so many crappy forums out there where people insult each other, swear at each other. Many people can not weed thru garbage, so instead of posting about the topic or answering the question they just tell the other posters what jerks they are. If they could weed thru it then every forum would be like this one, where people give knowledge or experience based answers in a friendly environment. My "spouting facts to make myself seem knowledgeable" has helped many people on this site. I would rather take advice from someone that has facts than someone who just assumes that they know the answer. So, that being said, you can go ahead and keep attempting to insult me, and I will continue to use facts to attempt to help other members.

Now you are reading more into another post. Stop it, you're acting like you're my wife. (OK, now I insulted you). The OP wants an o-ring for a dipstick tube. I stated that the one he needed was just a rubber one, so any old rubber o ring would do. You are cluttering up the discussion with the different types of o rings available, for different applications. Now someone reading through this post will have to read through multiple post that have nothing to do with anything, only to find out you like to correct people that don't need corrected.

It's fine that you possess o ring knowledge. The OP was looking for help with the plain old rubber type used in the dipstick tube, not the 15 other kinds you know about.

Now you are reading more into another post. Stop it, you're acting like you're my wife. (OK, now I insulted you). The OP wants an o-ring for a dipstick tube. I stated that the one he needed was just a rubber one, so any old rubber o ring would do. You are cluttering up the discussion with the different types of o rings available, for different applications. Now someone reading through this post will have to read through multiple post that have nothing to do with anything, only to find out you like to correct people that don't need corrected.

It's fine that you possess o ring knowledge. The OP was looking for help with the plain old rubber type used in the dipstick tube, not the 15 other kinds you know about.
    So, apparently you have read thru all my other posts and can make the general statement that I like to correct people that don't need correcting. I hope that you enjoyed your reading and maybe found something that may help you in the future. I am sorry if my first post somehow insulted you, it was not meant to. It was simply meant to tell every one that not all orings are the same. I guess that you construed it the wrong way. That being said, you may continue to post in this thread and attempt to damage my credibility and negatively analyze everything I type, but I am done with this conversation.

Legend
    Blog Entries

We love you pikey..
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

11. Thanks Pikey thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12