GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1989 Chevy C1500 Starts then immediately stalls

I have a 1989 Chevy Cheyenne C1500, it has a 4.3L V6, 2WD, Manual Transmission.

The truck has been sitting for about a year, and it was running fine before it sat. I start the truck and it starts right up but stalls immediately. When it stalls it doesn't make any sounds just sounds like the engine was turned off. If i start it I can pump the gas to keep the engine going but as soon as I stop pumping the gas it stalls out, when it stalls out like this the engine stutters than dies like it is running out of gas. While pumping the gas pedal to keep the engine running when I push down the gas pedal nothing happens, but when I let off the gas pedal the engine revs.

I have replaced the Fuel Filter, the Oxygen Sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor, with no change in the problem. I have tested the TPS connector with a voltmeter without the TPS connected and it reads at about 5v, which according to the manual is where it should be. I have tested the new TPS and with the throttle closed it is at .6V and goes to 4.4V when fully open, which again is what my repair manual says is normal. I have put new gas in the truck. I have taken off the Air Intake Assembly and watched the fuel injectors in the TBI while a helper keeps the engine running and it looks like the fuel injectors are working just fine.

I am a decently capable backyard mechanic and can fix most things when I figure out what needs to be fixed, my trouble has always been in trouble shooting the problem.

Sr. Apprentice

What is your fuel pressure @ with the key in the start position? Also have you tested your fuel pressure regulator?
    1998 1500 w/t short bed 4.3

I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and am still having the problem. I checked the fuel pressure with the key on position it goes to 5 psi for a second or so and than drops to nothing. When i turn the engine on and have a helper rev the engine, to keep it going, it never goes above 5 psi.

Does that mean its the fuel pump? I think that means my next step is to drop the gas tank but what should i be testing and looking for?

Sr. Apprentice

If memory serves me correctly you should be holding around 50 to 60 psi with a slight drop when running. I would lean toward the pump! Lift the bed on one side after loosening the bolts on the passenger side and removing the drivers side you should be able to tilt it up about 2' enough you to do the job that is with some bracing to hold it up!

Quote Originally Posted by fugitive View Post
    If memory serves me correctly you should be holding around 50 to 60 psi with a slight drop when running. I would lean toward the pump! Lift the bed on one side after loosening the bolts on the passenger side and removing the drivers side you should be able to tilt it up about 2' enough you to do the job that is with some bracing to hold it up!
    Not with the TBI trucks the TBI truck the pressure is much lower. But 5 is still low.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door