GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default '98 suburban stalls

'98 suburban stalls.
    5.7 auto 4x4 175K
    seams to happen only when warm and only when fuel guage is under half a tank, gets worse as tank gets near empty. Never happens with a full tank. Worse at low speed town driving, but has done it at highway speeds.

when it dies, you have to shut the key off then re start. usually starts right up, but sometimes you have to wait 30 seconds (an eternity when you are dead in the middle of a busy intersection).

check engine light is not coming on.

where to start?
    I'm thinking:
    #1 fuel filter
    then probably a fuel pump or is there a pressure regulator.

Thanks for any help

Carl

What do you mean by "check engine light isn't coming on"? If the CEL isn't coming on before you start it and it won't start, that might indicate that the PCM isn't getting power. If you are trying to say you don't think there are codes to retrieve, I'd pull codes anyway. When mine stalled on me earlier this year, the CEL didn't come on while running, but I pulled codes anyway. Found a CKP pending code that soon led to finding the ground wire to the CKP had burned through.

If you think it's a fuel delivery problem, probably the best first place to start is to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if fuel pressure is where it should be. You may need get creative and rig it up so you can see what the fuel pressure is doing when it stalls.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

You may also want to check out the fuel pickup in the tank as well.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

I think it is fuel delivery for a couple of reasons.

1. it only happens when tank is at 3/8 or lower
    2. only happnes when it is very warm out. never in the winter.

I will try to check fuel pressure.

How would I check the pickup in the tank?? do I need to drop the tank and pull the sending unit/pump? is there something specific I need to be looking for?

I meant to say (in my original post) that the check engine light doesn't come on when it dies. Not throwing any codes last time I checked, but it was doing it again yesterday so I should borrow a reader and see if anything is there.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Carl

Sorry, I have no idea how to check the pickup in the tank on the 'burb. I just know I've had a problem similar on another car where the gooseneck moved in such a way that it was having problems picking up fuel after 1/4 tank down.

Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone know if an erratic fuel level needle is normal? Mine swings from 1/4 tank to 3/4 tank on hard acceleration/deceleration. Plus, it never reads full when I fill it up. I'm wondering if I need to get in there to check out the float if this isn't normal, which means I need to figure out how to get into the tank too.