GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Well Damn..... (back to square one)

I am sad to report that I finally got to work on some of the issues that currently plague my truck and I am sad (mostly pissed) to report that I am back to square one with the issues. I have replaced (with new parts) the multi-function switch, ignition switch and the brake switch, the only issue that was fixed was I now have hazards..(bright spot!?). For those of you who haven't been following, I still have no brakelights, wipers, cruise control. I also still have a "short" or something that kills the battery if I leave it connected. The heater is still an issue but I am pretty sure after I took the A/C control head out, that it is the problem cuz it basically fell apart in my hands....and after some investigation there are broken solder points and other sundry injuries.

Open for suggestions.......
    Blank slate....work in progress....
    95 Chevy 5.7L 2wd...no mods..yet
    Resto project.

Is there a stump the forum prize Steve?

Does this truck have any aftermarket equipment that is tied to the electrical system? Also have you checked all the wires in the cab, because the only time all those functions are together in the chassis is in the cab under the dash. I think there's a bad ground they share to a short that they are all affected by. That short would also kill the battery because the brake light switch always have power to it so the brakes shorting could cause a drain on the battery.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Tackle one circuit at a time.

The brake lights do not use a switched 12 volts. They will light anytime the brake pedal is pressed.

It is also an easy circuit to trace. Are all brake lights out?
    If yes, the supply 12 volts, the main fuse and the brake light switch are common.
    Start at the brake pedal switch.
    One of the wires should (read must) have 12 volts from the battery.
    If you have 12 volts, the main brake light fuse is good.
    If you don't have 12v, the fuse, or the wire is bad.
    If you do have 12v, push the pedal, or operate the switch by hand,
    You should now have 12v on a terminal that did not have 12v before the switch was pressed.
    If you do not, you need a new switch.
    If you have the required 12v, you must have a broken wire going to the lights
    OR, blown fuses to each of the lights,
    OR, bad light bulbs.

Good luck
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

No there is no aftermarket stuff on here. It did have a remote start/security system on it, but it was meticulously removed when replacing the other stuff. I was hoping not to have to chase grounds but this look inevitable. I still have most of the dash and steering column disco'ed, so access won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Does this truck have any aftermarket equipment that is tied to the electrical system? Also have you checked all the wires in the cab, because the only time all those functions are together in the chassis is in the cab under the dash. I think there's a bad ground they share to a short that they are all affected by. That short would also kill the battery because the brake light switch always have power to it so the brakes shorting could cause a drain on the battery.
    - - - Updated - - -

Yes 1 at a time......

I am sure the switch is good as it was one of the items I replaced. This was fun!!

Yes, none of the lights light when pedal is pressed. The bulbs are good as I checked them prior.....blinkers work fine as do the "lights" when on. just no brakes...or "high" brake light.

I will give this a whirl probably Sat as it is the soonest I will be able to look at it.

Is the cargo light a separate ckt? I am not sure but I dont think it lights either...not sure if I checked this bulb.

Thanx

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Tackle one circuit at a time.

The brake lights do not use a switched 12 volts. They will light anytime the brake pedal is pressed.

It is also an easy circuit to trace. Are all brake lights out?
    If yes, the supply 12 volts, the main fuse and the brake light switch are common.
    Start at the brake pedal switch.
    One of the wires should (read must) have 12 volts from the battery.
    If you have 12 volts, the main brake light fuse is good.
    If you don't have 12v, the fuse, or the wire is bad.
    If you do have 12v, push the pedal, or operate the switch by hand,
    You should now have 12v on a terminal that did not have 12v before the switch was pressed.
    If you do not, you need a new switch.
    If you have the required 12v, you must have a broken wire going to the lights
    OR, blown fuses to each of the lights,
    OR, bad light bulbs.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by GMANs95 View Post
    Yes, none of the lights light when pedal is pressed. The bulbs are good as I checked them prior.....blinkers work fine as do the "lights" when on. just no brakes...or "high" brake light.
    Just because the sig work, is not a test. They might use different bulbs. And for sure, just because the park/tail lights work, this is no test. These lights use a different filament in the bulbs.

Is the cargo light a separate ckt? I am not sure but I dont think it lights either...not sure if I checked this bulb.
    The cargo light is part of the interior dome light circuit. The middle high brake light uses the same housing, but a different lamp. On my truck, the center brake light is LED, but yours might be a regular automotive bulb.

All three could be burnt out.

I guess we'll find out this weekend....if the weather holds.

I am aware of the double filaments.....I think in this model they are 1157's if they haven't changed the numbers.

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Just because the sig work, is not a test. They might use different bulbs. And for sure, just because the park/tail lights work, this is no test. These lights use a different filament in the bulbs.

The cargo light is part of the interior dome light circuit. The middle high brake light uses the same housing, but a different lamp. On my truck, the center brake light is LED, but yours might be a regular automotive bulb.

All three could be burnt out.

I am aware of the double filaments.....I think in this model they are 1157's if they haven't changed the numbers.

Thanx
    More likely to be 3157

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

I'm 62, and this is really "old school" But it always works, 1. disconnect the negative battery cable. 2. charge the battery till it's got a full charge. Then in the dark of at night, and have an assistant with you . . . 3. touch the loose negative cable to the negative post of the battery. And listen and watch, something will either light up or make a sound. and there's your open circuit.

- - - Updated - - -

You should hear or see a spark or flash of a very small kind or a sound, but that would be your open circuit. It could also be a resistor of something along that line of thought, so to take one step further, you can try removing fuses. If you remove a fuse and you no longer get a sound, or hiss, then there's you open circuit. It's slow and methodical but it works. It's like a backyard Multimeter.

If you know anything about electronics or how to use a meter, install an Amp meter between the battery positive terminal and the positive battery cable with the engine off and the ignition in the off position. Watch and see how much current your system is drawing. Then start pulling fuses one at a time and see which one reduces your current draw to near zero. Start troubleshooting that circuit.

Another idea is to disconnect the battery completely, then remove all tail/brake light bulbs in the back, and all parking/turn signal bulbs in the front. Using a meter on the resistance setting, check for continuity between the tail/brake light wires and ground. If you get anything other than an open reading, or no reading or change on the scale, there is a connection between that circuit and the ground that is drawing current.

Good luck!
    csltrains96
    Myself, my beautiful wife
    3 - boys
    3 - minivans
    1 - '89 Chevy K2500 Silverado Truck
    1 - 27 foot travel trailer
    Not enough family time!