GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1996 S10 4x4 front end bearing noise??

I've come across a very nice looking '96 S10 4x4 that I'm considering looking at to purchase. My only hang up is that the guy says there is a "bearing noise" coming from the front end. He says it drives great, just has the noise.

Any ideas what to look for? I asked if he thought it might be the transfer case and he said no. I'm thinking a wheel bearing, but wanted to see if you all had more/other ideas or experiences with this truck?

It's a good deal if it's a $200 fix. Not such a good deal if I get stuck with a $1,000 repair.

Thanks!

I would jack up the front and and spin the tire. If it is a wheel bearing you should hear it. If you are considering the truck and want to be as sire as you can be you could always take it to a shop for a used car check. Then tell them your concern. Places near me charge $25 for this.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Thanks Pikey. If I decide to go look at it, I think I'm going to arrange to take it to a Les Schwab or some place to have it diagnosed. Just thought I'd check here to see if someone went, "Yep - I had that and know what you're likely dealing with."

Legend

I had a 1994 s10 4X4 , this had a bad hub bearing . the steering wheel would drift to the left . this was the driver side hub.

with both wheels off the ground and the brakes pushed back a little the hub that rotates with some drag is the bad one. you may not feel any wobble.

torque is 187 ft lbs on the hub nut ..

when you install the new hub you will see that the rotation is much smoother and little drag.

I got a cheap hub 100 USD came with a 1 year warranty.