GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2000 sonoma only starts when gas poured in throttle body.

hey guys I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma 4.3 liter I'm having trouble starting it I have to pour gas into the throttle body to get it to start. It cranks but doesnt start without the gas I'm not sure what's wrong I changed out the fuel filter. I know my gas gauge doesnt work not sure if there's a clog somewhere but I need help what can I do to get it to start without having to pour gas into the throttle body every time? but once it starts it runs great except when I floor it it seems like it doesnt wanna get up and go.

welcome to gmtc. you need to go and rent a fuel pressure gauge from an auto parts store. You then screw the gauge onto the fuel rail and check the pressure. I have a feeling that you have a failing fuel pump.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    welcome to gmtc. you need to go and rent a fuel pressure gauge from an auto parts store. You then screw the gauge onto the fuel rail and check the pressure. I have a feeling that you have a failing fuel pump.

10-4 Pikey ill give it a shot. Thanks for the quick response. Wouldnt the engine die if the fuel pump was going out or not nesseceraly?

not necessarily. I think that your pump is not providing enough fuel to get it started. When you get it started it runs, but when you put it to the floor the pump is not providing enough fuel to keep it going.

I see your point. Would you happen to know how much psi the fuel pressure needs to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Jherkel View Post
    I see your point. Would you happen to know how much psi the fuel pressure needs to be?
    pretty sure that it should be 53-60 psi and hold after the key is shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    and hold after the key is shut off.
    That's the key. A good pump will hold fuel in the lines for a long time, a worn pump will let the fuel drain back into the tank.

Pouring fuel into the tb is letting the engine run long enough for the pump to fill the lines.

Try turning on the key and waiting 5 min, there should then be enough fuel in the lines to maybe start the engine. But, if the pump is real worn, there might be fuel, but, as @Pikey said, not enough pressure.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

10-4. Whats the chances of it being the pressure regulator?

Check the pressure first then you will be better able to tell if the reg. is bad. Pressure should be in the 50 to 60# range with key on, engine not running and 3 to 10# running.