GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Question Chevy Suburban with GMC grille

    I may have been hallucinating, but I recall seeing Chevy Suburbans with a GMC style grille with a rectangular block with the bowtie instead of the "GMC" letters. Can anyone tell me the year(s) of this or was I hallucinating?

    I liked the look of them and I'd like to do that with my '94 Suburban.

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    I have seen them also, I am pretty sure that they are aftermarket. Since Chevy and GMC both carried the Suburban tag during those years it is probably not all that hard to find that grill.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  3. #3

    Default

    I heard that at the end of the model year, GM ran out of Chevy grilles so they made up this conglomeration as they had extra GMC grilles.

    Finding the GMC grille is easy. It's the bowtie device that's hard to find. It's not the standard grille mount bowtie.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manta22 View Post
    I heard that at the end of the model year, GM ran out of Chevy grilles so they made up this conglomeration as they had extra GMC grilles.

    Finding the GMC grille is easy. It's the bowtie device that's hard to find. It's not the standard grille mount bowtie.
    Dont they call those limited editions...lol
    Life is short compared to history

    Rick (summitwhite11)

  5. #5

    Default

    I'd be very surprised if Chev would let a GMC grill be installed in a North American Chev truck (in the factory). In fact, it won't fit.

    The fenders are different, the hood is different (yes, of course, you can change enough pieces and parts to make it fit).

    However, GM has rebadged the GMC vehicles as Chev vehicles in other countries. The Envoy SUV was sold as a Chev Trailblazer in some of the South American countries. I'm sure they have done that with other vehicles.
    Ray

    '09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

  6. #6

    Default

    Early 90's C/K Chevy and GMC used the same sheet metal. The plastic grill was slightly different in appearance, but either one works on either truck. The primary difference is one had "Chevrolet" badging and one had "GMC".

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manta22 View Post
    Early 90's C/K Chevy and GMC used the same sheet metal. The plastic grill was slightly different in appearance, but either one works on either truck. The primary difference is one had "Chevrolet" badging and one had "GMC".
    Probably true, I was thinking of the pickups. They also may have shared most of the sheet metal.

  8. #8
    Sr. Engineer Dana W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chuluota, Florida
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manta22 View Post
    I may have been hallucinating, but I recall seeing Chevy Suburbans with a GMC style grille with a rectangular block with the bowtie instead of the "GMC" letters. Can anyone tell me the year(s) of this or was I hallucinating?

    I liked the look of them and I'd like to do that with my '94 Suburban.

    Thanks.
    You mean like these for a '99? LMC Truck I believe the GMC and Chevy Suburban bodywork was identical from 1992 to 1999.

  9. Likes RayVoy liked this post
  10. #9

    Default

    http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csd/full.aspx?Page=41

    Look at the bottom grille picture. Imagine instead of "GMC" there's a block with the Chevy Bowtie in its place, the same size.

    The GMC and Chevy Suburban, Tahoe/Yukon, and C/K series shared the sheet metal from 1992-1999. The main difference was the badging and grilles.

  11. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manta22 View Post
    I may have been hallucinating, but I recall seeing Chevy Suburbans with a GMC style grille with a rectangular block with the bowtie instead of the "GMC" letters. Can anyone tell me the year(s) of this or was I hallucinating?

    I liked the look of them and I'd like to do that with my '94 Suburban.

    Thanks.
    These are seen quite commonly in the Texas "Valley". Always with tags from across the border. Apparently GM builds Mexican Chevys with GMC body parts after the body parts become outdated/obsolete for the US market.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •