GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Default Idiot of the Year Award

    Where do I go to apply?

    Today I've been working on replacing the water pump on the Suburban. I'm almost done with the project and strip out a hose clamp. Minor inconvenience and annoying, but I'll live. I drive 30 minutes into town, get 2 hose clamps, and 30 minutes back and proceed to put the original hose clamp back on the truck and didn't realize it until I had put it entirely back together and heated the engine up. So, now I need to wait a couple hours, pull the truck back apart partially, and put the new hose clamp in.

    Just another thing to put my trip in jeopardy...
    Christopher

    1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half



    There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

  2. #2

    Default

    Its ok, Obama is constantly putting on the wrong clamp, you only did it once and learned from it.
    Life is short compared to history

    Rick (summitwhite11)

  3. Likes jsmith4816, reggiecab2000 liked this post
  4. #3
    Master Mechanic BurbanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dolores, CO
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by summitwhite11 View Post
    Its ok, Obama is constantly putting on the wrong clamp, you only did it once and learned from it.
    rofl! At least you didn't do an oil change and accidentally re install the old filter!

    Or how about pulling bell housing bolts and forgetting about one and pulling the engine with an 8ton ram on the hoist... I didn't have a clue until it was too late as the hoist didn't even try to hesitate...
    Chuckie!!!


  5. #4
    Sr. Engineer Dana W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chuluota, Florida
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Where do I go to apply?

    Today I've been working on replacing the water pump on the Suburban. I'm almost done with the project and strip out a hose clamp. Minor inconvenience and annoying, but I'll live. I drive 30 minutes into town, get 2 hose clamps, and 30 minutes back and proceed to put the original hose clamp back on the truck and didn't realize it until I had put it entirely back together and heated the engine up. So, now I need to wait a couple hours, pull the truck back apart partially, and put the new hose clamp in.

    Just another thing to put my trip in jeopardy...
    Don't feel bad. The last time I replaced a hose on my '99 Sub, the bottom one, it fit really tight and I had to struggle the pump end on one handed with a bad grip position. I was stretched over the fender for way too long, because I just didn't feel like getting the ramps out. This got me in a hurry state of mind, I guess.

    When I finally got the hose on, I made a quick approving inspection of my masterful mechanical work, and then proceeded to refill the system. I got in the truck to start it with the cap off to see if the level dropped while air escaped. Just as the engine started, I caught a glimpse of the bubble pack with my two brand new hose clamps still in it, and not on the hose. The old clamps were on the old hose, laying in the driveway.

    The pack was sitting on the top of the fan shroud, slightly hanging over the edge on the fan side. I watched paralyzed as the fan breeze caught it, and flipped it into the air an inch or two. The bubble pack dropped straight down into the fan, of course. The blades launched the pack into my neighbors bamboo patch just as I moved the key to OFF. To this day, two years later, I still haven't found it.

    Luckily, my wife was home, so I took her car down to the NAPA store for more clamps. Before I left, I replaced the radiator cap, which I should not have done. While I was gone, the residual heat I had generated in the engine just running it for about 2 minutes, apparently created enough pressure to dump a 3 foot wide puddle of coolant out on the driveway that escaped through the unclamped hose ends.

    Needless to say, I did the old un-thread the clamps all the way trick to get them on the hose I was not about to pull back off.

  6. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    Don't feel bad. The last time I replaced a hose on my '99 Sub, the bottom one, it fit really tight and I had to struggle the pump end on one handed with a bad grip position. I was stretched over the fender for way too long, because I just didn't feel like getting the ramps out. This got me in a hurry state of mind, I guess.

    When I finally got the hose on, I made a quick approving inspection of my masterful mechanical work, and then proceeded to refill the system. I got in the truck to start it with the cap off to see if the level dropped while air escaped. Just as the engine started, I caught a glimpse of the bubble pack with my two brand new hose clamps still in it, and not on the hose. The old clamps were on the old hose, laying in the driveway.

    The pack was sitting on the top of the fan shroud, slightly hanging over the edge on the fan side. I watched paralyzed as the fan breeze caught it, and flipped it into the air an inch or two. The bubble pack dropped straight down into the fan, of course. The blades launched the pack into my neighbors bamboo patch just as I moved the key to OFF. To this day, two years later, I still haven't found it.

    Luckily, my wife was home, so I took her car down to the NAPA store for more clamps. Before I left, I replaced the radiator cap, which I should not have done. While I was gone, the residual heat I had generated in the engine just running it for about 2 minutes, apparently created enough pressure to dump a 3 foot wide puddle of coolant out on the driveway that escaped through the unclamped hose ends.

    Needless to say, I did the old un-thread the clamps all the way trick to get them on the hose I was not about to pull back off.
    Sorry and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but your post made me laugh. Especially the two years later part. I don't know why but probably because that's something that I would do...

  7. #6
    Sr. Engineer Dana W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chuluota, Florida
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USAF-Suburban View Post
    Sorry and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but your post made me laugh. Especially the two years later part. I don't know why but probably because that's something that I would do...
    No sweat. You're supposed to laugh.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •