GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Reverse Issue

Default Reverse Issue

I live in Minnesota where it has been very cold lately, and my truck has had issues when I put it into reverse. I will let the truck warm up for a few minutes, but when I put it into reverse it does not start moving. I will have to rev the engine to around 2000 RPM's before it will go. I have had the truck for a couple years and it has never done this before. It is an 04 Silverado Z71 with 160K miles. It does this even on days when it isn't super cold (above zero). Any ideas? I was thinking of just changing the transmission fluid to start with.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by altst012 View Post
    I live in Minnesota where it has been very cold lately, and my truck has had issues when I put it into reverse. I will let the truck warm up for a few minutes, but when I put it into reverse it does not start moving. I will have to rev the engine to around 2000 RPM's before it will go. I have had the truck for a couple years and it has never done this before. It is an 04 Silverado Z71 with 160K miles. It does this even on days when it isn't super cold (above zero). Any ideas? I was thinking of just changing the transmission fluid to start with.
    since this is a 2004 your transmission most likely has dexron III in it. I would have the fluid drained new filter and the now approved GM dexron VI. this is now the approved fluid for your vehicle. this will cost much more than dexron III which is now not an approved fluid .

with extremely cold temps my 2000 shifted much faster with the mobil synthetic tranny fluid back in 2001 when I removed the dexron III.

2006 GM REMOVED DEXRON III FROM THE APPROVED FLUIDS LIST / TURNS INTO ACID WHEN IT GETS HOT .

you may luck out . low pressures are you issue .with the new fluid it will make more pressure at the low temps.