GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Raising idle

Sr. Apprentice

Default Raising idle

How do I raise the idle, IF POSSIBLE, I'm guessing by adjust throttle position sensor or something,. How do I do that , 99 GMC z71 NBS 5.3

Sr. Apprentice

So I'm guessing t,here is no way to raise the idle just a tad ????

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Why do you want to?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I believe that it is all computer controlled. You may be able to use a tuner or programmer to raise it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Sr. Apprentice

It is a bit low. It has a minor stumble but it's only at idle. It's idling about 400 in drive.... It has even died once, not a real problem though... Now check engine lights. I can't find the stumble, it's like a miss, but had the firing check on a computer, does not show a coil missing, new spark plugs and wires....it just seams like the idle is just a tad low

I believe the only way to really adjust your EIS is through the PCM... which would mean having someone with a legitimate tuning program (HP Tuners, etc) do it, or a technician with GM that has a TechII

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Have you changed the Fuel filter? Clean the TB? Pour some Seafoam in her and use the spray Clean it up a bit and see what happens..

Sr. Apprentice

Yea I did all that. Well havnt done the WHOLE sea foam thing, I do need to do that but figured maybe a slight adjustment in THROTTLE CONTROL SENSOR maybe... Maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dodson View Post
    It is a bit low. It has a minor stumble but it's only at idle. It's idling about 400 in drive.... It has even died once, not a real problem though... Now check engine lights. I can't find the stumble, it's like a miss, but had the firing check on a computer, does not show a coil missing, new spark plugs and wires....it just seams like the idle is just a tad low
    With your Trucks Low Idle at times and now the Check Engine Light is coming-on, I'm guessing that these 2-items are Tied together, you should have your Trucks Computer Scanned, to see what Code is Triggering the CEL to come on.

Regarding the low idle....I would start by checking for Vacuum Leaks.......at the PCV Hoses, Hoses and Connections for the Air Intake System, and the Intake Manifold.....as Vacuum Leaks, can throw off your Trucks Computer,

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Sr. Apprentice

I'm sorry, I should read these before I submit, I'd does NOT have a check engine light. I had a guy check the firing on his computer... Does not show any misfiring or weak firing. The truck runs great... Just a little stumble at idle in drive... I have changed the fuel filter, cleaned the TBI, have not done the sea foam other than running it through the fuel tank